A dismal view of Bulgarian employees

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

A dismal view of Bulgarian employees

Postby leedarkwood » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:54 am

From the standart news today.

http://standartnews.com/en/article.php? ... ticle=3620 (edited to add this)

"Thais, Indonesians and Besarabian Bulgarians will save the summer season this year - they will work as waiters and cooks at the Bulgarian seaside resorts. The foreigners are highly qualified, much more experienced and the clients are pleased with their services, investors say. The Asians speak good English and are more diligent and hard-working.
They agree to work for lower salaries than the Bulgarians, too, tourism bosses say.
Apart from that they don't try stealing from their employers. At the same time, the Bulgarian professionals in the branch prefer to work abroad where they get three to four times higher payment."

Is stealing from employers that endemic? Are Bulgarians undiligent and lazy? How hard is it to be a waiter for heavens sake? This does not paint a very good picture of Bulgarian workers, is it in people's experiences true or not, and if it is, how is this going to change in future?

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
RossiI

Postby RossiI » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:31 am

Hi Lee,

Could you post the link to the article, please? I would like to read the whole of it.
Thanks!

Rossi

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
salton
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby salton » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:31 am

i have a real estate office in sredets and had a bulgarian worker when sh e came to work for us she did not tell any one she was pregnant in her contract she said she was working 8hoursa day to cut a long story short i had to sack her as she said she was no longer able to translate for us it turns out we were paying her salary and she was getting money from the goverment

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sibfox

Re: A dismal view of Bulgarian employees

Postby sibfox » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:37 pm

leedarkwood wrote:From the standart news today.

http://standartnews.com/en/article.php? ... ticle=3620 (edited to add this)

"Thais, Indonesians and Besarabian Bulgarians will save the summer season this year - they will work as waiters and cooks at the Bulgarian seaside resorts. The foreigners are highly qualified, much more experienced and the clients are pleased with their services, investors say. The Asians speak good English and are more diligent and hard-working.
They agree to work for lower salaries than the Bulgarians, too, tourism bosses say.
Apart from that they don't try stealing from their employers. At the same time, the Bulgarian professionals in the branch prefer to work abroad where they get three to four times higher payment."

Is stealing from employers that endemic? Are Bulgarians undiligent and lazy? How hard is it to be a waiter for heavens sake? This does not paint a very good picture of Bulgarian workers, is it in people's experiences true or not, and if it is, how is this going to change in future?

Lee

Yes, many of them steal and 95% of them are heavily underpaid. Many hotel owners in Sunny Beach are multi-millionaires, making huge profit off their business but they are paying peanut salaries to their employees.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
blueberry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby blueberry » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:54 pm

EXCUSE ME (Lee in particular) but this does not give a picture of the whole employment diagram. I tend to believe that most bulgarians are very hard working people and very sincere. If you pay them the right money according to the economic situation, you will receive 110% of their capabilities in return. This is said from my experience and I do know what I am talking about. Seasonal work is not a factor. b**ger everywhere.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tedthered
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tedthered » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:02 pm

My friend has a building company in the South and he has at the moment a contract in London and 50% of his employees are Bulgarian and he cannot fault them, the are hard working and most of all thankful, ie he took all of his staff for a meal and drink at Christmas free meal free bar etc. and at the end every Bulgarian thanked him , but not one of his English workers who assumed that it was a right and entitlement

Cheers

Ted the Red
Last edited by tedthered on Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fruitbat79
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fruitbat79 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:11 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uZ_u4QuiZxA

not really in the right section but the bit on this video clip with the bulgarians trying to load the lorry is spot on......i've seen the same way of working on a building site in BG.

surely though, if you got paid the pitiful wage some of these guys are on wouldn't you try and make the job last that bit longer!!

Best regards

FB

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
philr68
Super User!
Super User!

Postby philr68 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:54 pm

In every country you get good and bad in the labour force.

Having been in business in Bulgaria now for almost 3 years and with almost 20 employees in my company, all of which are Bulgarian I can wholeheartedly say that they are excellent workers, Loyal, honest and caring.

During the course of the past 3 years we have employed several Brits and found them to be disloyal, dishonest and uncaring. Needless to say they did not last long.

Just for the record, we had one Bulgarian employee who fell into the same category as the Brits.

I have no prejudice towards anyone, and am happy to employ any nationality and give anyone a chance.

I have found that if you treat your staff with respect, as a rule you get it back. Of course, there is always the exception that proves the rule.

BR

Phil :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:05 pm

A Bulgarian friend of mine works all summer for a hotel, managing the bar/restaurant. She works from 9 am until the last guest leaves the bar, often 1 or 2 the next morning, from 1st May to mid-October, without a single day off, and is paid 400 lv per month plus tips.

I can't imagine a brit doing this somehow :roll:

Joss

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:29 pm

And yet the chat and this forum has constant queries from Britons who want to come and work in BG. Of course when they hear what salaries are on offer, they soon decide it is not for them !

Return to “Media Coverage”