GAS SUPPLIES TERMINATED

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

eureka
Super User!
Super User!

GAS SUPPLIES TERMINATED

Postby eureka » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:57 am

According to Sofia Weekly/Novinite Breaking News,

At 3.30 this morning, all Natural Gas Supplies from the Ukrainian/Romanian Border towards Bulgaria have been terminated.

Apparently this is on foot of the dispute between Russia and the Ukraine over Ukrainian(non) payments for Russian gas supplies.

Reports go on to say that Bg will have to rely on their gas reserves, which can only supply 1/3 of the daily demand.

But there are conflicting reports about how long these reserves will last, with a suggestion that following the termination, they could last only a few days.

eureka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eureka » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:37 pm

Another report says,

Russia is reported to have cut all gas supplies to Bulgaria, and onward supplies to Greece, Turkey and Macedonia.

The Bulgarian Economy Ministry said the country was in crisis following the stoppage.

Bulgaria, which relies almost entirely on Russian gas for it's needs, will be worst hit as it has no access to alternative pipeline routes.

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:06 pm

"Bulgaria, almost wholly dependent on Russian gas via Ukraine, says it has sufficient supplies for just a few days. It says no more gas is flowing through a pipeline that also supplies Turkey, Macedonia and Greece.
"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7812860.stm

Sorry to ask a really dumb question, but does this mean all gas, i.e. had I better go get my bottle supplies topped up right quick?

Lee

Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Don't think that this is the same type of gas, but wouldn't swear to it. I think that this is the sort of "domestic" gas used for central heating etc in the UK, rather than the LPG used in cars and as "Calor" gas.

Suspect that this type of gas may be used for electicity generation in BG rather than domestic heating. Maybe stock up on candles?

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:20 pm

Sadly its used mainly for parno or city heating and hot water - electricity generation is mainly from nuclear and coal. My hot water has already got substantially colder than normal and I anticipate none by tomorrow. We should be OK for electricity but as everyone will switch to this for heating, I expect rationing within 3 days.

Then the collapse of law and order, pillaging and reversion to a feral state by ....oooohh... a week on Thursday

Chippy
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby Chippy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Should not laugh but your post raised a chucke :lol:

dylan

Postby dylan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:29 pm

russia has called for the price of oil to go up and the rest of europe is hoping that this gas crisis is only about ukraine syphoning off 20 percent as it passes through the country and not something more sinister like holding others to ransom to hike the price up.Do you trust the russians to solve this in a few days,something going on here so for those of us with log burning fires ok but if you live in an apartment with a gas fire in any of the countries affected by shortage then time to get the hot water bottles out,its going to get colder. By the way does anyone have a good link to maps/information on routes and towns and villages the proposed oil pipeline will take from russia to borgas to alexanderpolis in greece? dylan

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:05 pm

First time I can remember being smug because I have oil-fired CH! :lol:

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Problem solved, folks - the EU have declared the situation to be "completely unacceptable".....Russia and Ukraine will restore supplies as soon as their knees have stopped trembling :wink:

Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Historically Russia is Bulgaria´s best friend. They will resore the supplies tomorrow I think. Maybe BG will have to leave EU before ....

Return to “Media Coverage”