GAS SUPPLIES TERMINATED

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:54 pm

I believe there may soon be a vacancy in the USSR...oops, sorry - I meant the CIS :lol:

eureka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eureka » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:05 pm

In addition to the many huge apartment blocks in some of the major cities being plunged into the cold (which is no laughing matter in mid winter in Bg), if this termination goes on for any period of time, it will have deep and far reaching effects on Bulgaria.

Many public buildings, Hospitals, schools etc rely on Natural Gas for heating.

The entire winter season at Borovetz will be at risk as all hotels and tourist establishments rely on Gas heating.

The Confederation of Employers and Industries announced that plants in Bulgaria are already losing at least 500 million leva PER DAY due to Gas shortages. They say that Bulgaria's glass production would be dealt a deadly blow by the termination of supply.

The second largest Fertilizer producer, "Neohim" announced it was shutting down all production facilities today. Apparently there are also major safety concerns associated with this cessation.

Companies are already laying off workers, and if this continues for any more than a few days, I'm sure wide scale lay offs and industrial shut downs will follow, with consequent catastrophic impact on the economy.

And this, at a time when Bulgaria can least afford it.

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:53 pm

And then there's the proposals to re-open the powered down nuclear reactors. Nuclear power makes me nervous at the best of times, the thought of anyone trying to power one up in a hurry is truely frightening.
If I understood the report correctly however they were saying it would take at least a month.

Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:55 pm

kazz wrote:And then there's the proposals to re-open the powered down nuclear reactors. Nuclear power makes me nervous at the best of times, the thought of anyone trying to power one up in a hurry is truely frightening.
If I understood the report correctly however they were saying it would take at least a month.

The idea came from the president, means nobody really takes it seriously. :wink:

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:38 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7814477.stm

Referring to reactor three on Tuesday, Mr Purvanov said "preparations for a restart of the reactor must begin immediately".

At least two towns in eastern Bulgaria - Varna and Dobrich - were totally without gas on Tuesday, the AP news agency reported.

"I can report that the central heating system for Sofia has just stopped working. It's -3C degrees outside at the moment and my apartment is noticeably cooling," said Nev Nikolova in the Bulgarian capital.Kozloduy supplied about half of Bulgaria's electricity, before four of its six reactors were closed amid safety concerns.

The US department of energy described Kozloduy as "one of the world's most dangerous nuclear installations

Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:31 am

BG media have reported yesterday that:

1. The EC has announced that an opening of Block 3 is out of question
2. BG experts said that it would take up to 5 months until the reactor could work
3. Stanishev has already denied that a plan to open a reactor block exists

Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:55 pm

Now things are getting serious... breweries are affected!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7816115.stm

Actually, is anyone else appalled by how lightly this European crisis is being treated in the UK? I know that there is the Gaza conflict at the same time, but even so.

kempa
Super User!
Super User!

Postby kempa » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:12 pm

told by neighbour that Sofia taxis now charging 100 leva from Bus station to airport - they run on metan and no supplies so scarcity of taxis means they charge what they want. We are flying Easyjet to LGW tomorrow and will need a taxi to airport :( hate travelling at the best of times...
Cheers
Kempa

Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Simonita wrote:Actually, is anyone else appalled by how lightly this European crisis is being treated in the UK?

As far as I know the UK has its own gas. At least I´ve read that Germany is importing gas from the UK as well (thank you so much! :lol: ) and does not completely depend on the Russians like Bulgaria unfortunately. Probably the UK does not import gas at all?! So why should they care....

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:46 pm

I may be wrong about this but to the best of my understanding gas cars still have a petrol tank as they need to use petrol to start the engine they then then switch to methane to keep it running...
So it's not a case of the taxi having to cope with a fuel shortage but one of using a more expensive fuel. Not that much more expensive though!
Keep your bag with you not in the boot...demand the receipt from the meter.
If there's no receipt you're not obliged to pay.

If you don't fancy this we do know an English speaking Bulgarian lady who does pick-ups from the train or coach station and delivers to the airport. She charges more than the taxis should but less than they sometimes do.
If it's a journey from the airport to the station she'll alos help you buy tickets and ensure you get on the right coach/train.
No idea if she's free tomorrow but drop me a PM if you want her number.

Return to “Media Coverage”