Street Dogs: Time for some serious campaign, surely?

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi Joss

I totally agree with all thats said on people who abuse animals. According to stats they are 4 times more likely to abuse people as well, which doesn't surprise me.

Personally, I agree with Kellert and Felthous:

People abuse animals because:

to control an animal
to retaliate against an animal
to retaliate against another person
to satisfy a prejudice against a species or breed
to express anger through an animal
to enhance one's own aggressiveness
to shock people for amusement
to displace hostility from a person to an animal
to perform non-specific sadism

We are working with street dogs in the SW area. At the moment we have 5 permanent dogs which are here to stay, and 2 fosters from BSAPP in Sofia undergoing Homeopathic treatment. We are also TNR'ing in the area, much to one of the local shepherds amazement as we accidently TNR'd one of his dogs :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tomkin

Postby tomkin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:20 pm

Unfortunately Gimlet your attitude is now somewhat antiquated.

Modern animal psychology generally accepts that all mammals rely on emotions to dictate their response to a given situation. Dogs have been demonstrated through scientific measurement to experience the full range from rage through to ecstacy passing through happy, sad, lonely, jealous and everything else that you or I experience along the way.

Most people who have experienced the unconditional loyalty that a dog brings to the relationship with a human being or seen the way a dog can reflect happiness in the facial expression would support these findings

Having looked after over 300 different dogs in the last four years I wholly agree because you get to see how every single dog is a unique individual and that there is no preprogrammed response to a particular situation but there is indeed an emotional one

Beat your dog if you must but it will still be there to love you tomorrow

Tomkin

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:23 pm

Why do you feel satisfaction when you belt your dog?

The momentary satisfaction is a by-product not the reason and of course it wouldn't be a justification.

The reason is to attract his attention when he is intent on something else, such as trying to savage some form of wild-life, like a hedge-hog, or when he is doing his best to make a horse throw his rider.

Same as spurs and whips on horses really. But I doubt if you are a fan of horse-racing.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:38 pm

gimlet wrote:

The momentary satisfaction is a by-product not the reason and of course it wouldn't be a justification.

The reason is to attract his attention when he is intent on something else, such as trying to savage some form of wild-life, like a hedge-hog, or when he is doing his best to make a horse throw his rider.

Same as spurs and whips on horses really. But I doubt if you are a fan of horse-racing.

In your case the problem is not with the dog, but you, the owner and the inability to train your dog.

Gimlet, are you interested in solutions to the street dog problem?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:39 pm

A dog attacks a horse it's fear aggression, when you beat it in any situation like this the dog associates the beating with the situation. By beating the dog you are confirming its worst fears ie: the horse is a painful threat. And it will continue to do so. Unless you train it otherwise.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:47 pm

To get back to the subject matter (please!), here's a link to an article in the Sofia Echo from last week:

http://sofiaecho.com/2009/10/22/803261_ ... icial-says

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tomkin

Postby tomkin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:56 pm

I wonder if these will be the same type of shelters we saw reported a while back where starving dogs were eating the carcasses of other dogs in the "shelter" and the staff employed some quite unique methods of euthenasing the residents?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:05 pm

Gimlet, are you interested in solutions to the street dog problem?

This is from my post of 19.10.09.

I agree, Malky, that this dog problem shows that civilisation has either not arrived in Bulgaria, or perhaps it was there but left.

I think that answers your question.

I said that I belted my dog if he was intent on killing some innocent, non-vermin, creature. For that I have received brickbats predicated on the fact that I consistently beat or batter my dog (and potentially) other humans all such comments seemingly motivated by quasi-religious fervour.

When I got the dog from the pound he was ok, quite sociable in dog terms. He was in a shared kennel. On bringing him back from the pound after a few hours it became clear that he was ill. A bl**dy flux was emanating from both ends.

He gave me a sad, grave look and went behind the dustbin to die.

Well, as I said, I am a sentimentalist. "What a plucky fellow," I thought, giving into the anthropomorphic lure. I took him to the vet. It was touch and go. He was on a drip for two days and in there for 3 nights.

When he came back he was physically fine but his nature had changed in that he now totally hates all other forms of life except my family. The vet also said he was 9 months older than the pound had stated.

Nine years on now and all I can say is that my dog hasn't killed anybody yet, and I intend to keep it that way. If he had a strong bite I would have had him put down, no question.

Some people leave their dogs alone all day. Can you believe that?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 pm

gimlet wrote:

No, I'm not a fan of horse racing, if it means spurs and whips. Just another form of torture.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tandt
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tandt » Mon May 17, 2010 10:36 pm

This should set a good example;
http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=116278

Hopefully, people will now control their dogs better.
Trev.

Return to “Media Coverage”