Smokers get massive tax hikes (and bans coming in!)

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mandyjeancole
Super User!
Super User!

Smokers get massive tax hikes (and bans coming in!)

Postby mandyjeancole » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:14 pm

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=114806

I have never known an increase of such mammoth proportions on any one product let alone cigarettes, what equates in British terms to nearly 70 pence per pack rise is so extraordinary even the British Government (The world authority on how to screw the taxpayer) wouldn't dare to implement such a hike.

One of the few attractions that Bulgaria had to offer in terms of prices was cheap cigarettes (probably the cheapest in Europe) which if you are a smoker (sorry a person that smokes) would have meant tremendous savings on a daily basis compared to the UK.

What was in effect a smokers paradise has now turned sadly sour & what with current property prices especially.. selling.. at rock bottom the attraction of this wonderful Country have somewhat diminished.

Of course this is purely personal point of view from a Foreigner living here,I haven't taken in consideration the Bulgarian smokers prospective of these catastrophic rises.. unfortunately neither has their own Government .. Some might say its a moral tax on a unhealthy habit..sounds realistic & sensible ?? A bit like the first reading of the Magna Carta ? O' yes before you mention it Iam a none smoker, MJC

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:28 pm

Are you seriously saying that people consider the cost of cigarettes in their decision on whether or not to move to BG? Wow. Anyway, the price rises are as much to do with bringing BG into line with EU excise duties than anything else and outside the control of the government (who have already backtracked on banning smoking in public places like the rest of the civilised world)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:40 pm

Oh dear..they only have to put a bottle of beer up to 50 p and a coffee out of the machine to 30p and we are all ******.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:42 pm

well if you need it...can afford it...you buy it. Simple.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:59 am

I can see this thread going the usual way, non smokers v Smokers, whateve your views it is a massive hike, and yes it is to bring BG in line with other EU countries. Like Mat I cannot see that cheap Ciggies would be a factor as to where you chose to live.However looking at the news the last week or so the same thing that happened in the UK is happening here, lot's of contriband smuggled into the country. So the taxes they are receiving are now going to be spent on stopping illegal supplies.

Mick :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
neilmay
Super User!
Super User!

Postby neilmay » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:27 am

I know that my opinion will be ignored.
The way I see it Bulgarians will have more black market cigarettes.
The Bulgarian goverment will lose out, because of the increase of theTax, and as usual here someone will be making an illegal PROFIT.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MAZA
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MAZA » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:41 am

Gutted,its just not ON!! yes and i'm a smoker.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:06 am

MAZA wrote:Gutted,its just not ON!! yes and i'm a smoker.

I'm not a smoker MAZA but I am sure you have seen the fire coming out of my mouth and the smoke out of my ears when I am in Bulgaria. Give me a nice Chinise dish any day :lol: :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:23 am

Let this serve as a warning to thoses still wearing their rose coloured glasses, Bulgaria is now in the E.U. and part of that process is parity, most of what you can buy will go up but so will earnings. If you are on a fixed income you may have a problem.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MAZA
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MAZA » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Yes mr shebry :lol: i have seen you smoking and i did think strange man :lol: Well i smoke at least 20 a day but you seemed to be smoking 20 all in one go..LOL :wink: :lol:

Return to “Media Coverage”