Smokers get massive tax hikes (and bans coming in!)

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:24 pm

bphirst50 wrote:It would appear that the smoking ban is now with us around balchik and dobrich but no one seems to know just what the law is but many bar/restaurant owners are worried about large fines so smoking has to be done outside. Maybe as they start to lose much trade they will find ways around it. Remember most of the population here smoke unlike UK.

Tony

Hi
Will the smokers actually go outside in -10 to -15c degrees and the second point is, who is going to enforce the law, the police, I doubt it unless they see it as easy back pocket money and also they are much to busy pulling in motorists at 22.00hrs and don't forget there is always three officers to do that manley job, one to step out in front of the car with his lolly-pop, the second one to quiz you and the third sat in the car having a fag :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:50 am

yes Shebry, smokers will go outside in extreme weather to smoke. Our local bar, banned smoking, way back in the spring. Everyone, Bulgarian and English go outside to smoke. Some folk did a bit of moaning, but soon got used to it. I dont smoke, hubby does. I spend a small fortune on scented candles for me and medication for him!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:30 am

MOD wrote:Remember this thread is about the 'Smoking Ban' and the 'Price hikes' and not the place for smokers and anti smokers to debate smoking itself.
Any further posts not about the ban or the price hikes will be deleted without warning.
Mod 8)

As per our prior post, last night's smokers v anti-smokers 'debate' has been removed.

Mod 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Villyman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Villyman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:05 am

Went into the Dobrudja Hotel in Dobrich last week to visit one of the shops inside. The cafe bar in reception just through the main entrance is still full of smoke and ashtrays on all tables. 3 or 4 new tables have been added just beyond reception and these too have ashtrays.

This is good place to go if your an "ex-smoker" who needs a quick fix of "passive".

If inspections are being carried out I would have thought that this place would have been top of the list, or maybe they pay a bigger backhander :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shebry
Super User!
Super User!

smoking ban

Postby shebry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:35 am

I found the following text on the internet and thought it was a most sensible and logical description on the pro's and con's of smoking

A group of Students were taking their exams and one of the subjects was for them to write an opinion essay on, Should Smoking be Banned?

This is it and I hope MOD's don't delete it

It has become fashionable in the world today to condemn smoking. However, although I feel that smoking can be harmful, I do not think it should be banned completely.

Let me deal first with the positive side of smoking. First, smoking undoubtedly helps many people to relax. For some, it even improves concentration. Many people like to smoke before exams or when they are relaxing with friends.

A further point is that governments throughout the world make huge profits from levying taxes on cigarettes. This provides funds which are used for building schools, hospitals and other public amenities.

The tobacco industry also employs tens of thousands of people throughout the world, particularly in poorer countries like Zimbabwe or India. Without cigarettes, these people would have no jobs.

I would also argue that people should have the right to choose whether they smoke or not. People should not smoke in a room where there are non-smokers but surely they should be free to smoke elsewhere.

The arguments against smoking are well known. Smoking has been shown to be dangerous to health. Heart disease, bronchitis and lung cancer have all been linked.

A further issue is that smoking costs governments millions of pounds because of the large number of people who need treatment in hospitals for smoking related problems.

There is also concern today about passive smoking. Recent research has shown that non-smokers can suffer health problems if they spend long periods of time among people who do smoke.

In general, I think the world would be a better place without cigarettes. However, the decision as to whether to smoke or not should be for each individual to make.

shebry writes:- I wonder if the writer is a smoker !!!!!! I would give the student 10/10 and a pass

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jamir

Postby jamir » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Personally I think they should have smoking sections in all public places, so everyones rights are covered. Then people at least have the choice... or smoking and non smoking venues ... so simple ... the government get their much wanted taxes, the non smokers stay out of the harmful second hand smoke and the smokers just get to enjoy them selves with out some non smoker waving furiously in their faces every time they want to light up.

The government can't have their cake and eat it, either ban cigarettes or let the smokers smoke what they dearly pay for in comfort

and incase you are wondering

yes I am a smoker , I just avoid non smoking venues.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bphirst50
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bphirst50 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Does anyone know the exact law regarding smoking bans in BG? Many euro countries allow smoking in separate rooms as per EU rules and not as the UK went. Spain has just followed the UK route and banned smoking in all public and work places so it said on the news last week so no doubt many people will not be going there for their holidays. I think that if BG has gone this route then it will also see a decline in tourists as I know many people who wont book a holiday to a hotel which has totally banned smoking or a country where one is not allowed to smoke inside anywhere. Most people understand that smoking where food is served and eaten should not be allowed.

Tony

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:37 pm

From Novinite on 3rd January this year:

The requirements will affect all smoking spaces inside commercial and administrative buildings, railroad stations and airports as well.

Owners of coffee shops and restaurants with less than 50 square meters have the right to decide whether smoking would be allowed. In case smoking is allowed, individuals under the age of 18 would not be admitted as they are banned from smoking in all indoors spaces.

In larger establishments, at least 50% of the space must be dedicated to non-smokers.

In night clubs, smoking will be allowed at all times regardless of how large they are.

Open-space coffee shops and restaurants inside shopping malls are becoming non-smoking facilities.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Does anybody know the extent of the E.U. directives on smoking bans in particular smoking in company owned vehicles and Bulgaria's stance on the issue. Also does anybody know the legalities of smoking in a Bulgarian registered, company owned vehicle in the U.K. and countries in between.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
varnagirl
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnagirl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:17 am

Full Smoking Ban in Bulgaria On Hold until 2014 - Report
January 24, 2011, Monday Novitine News

Full Smoking Ban in Bulgaria On Hold until 2014 - Report: Full Smoking Ban in Bulgaria On Hold until 2014 - Report
Bulgaria has one of the highest smokers' rates in the EU at some 39% of people declaring themselves daily smokers, topped only by Greece at 42%.

The full smoking ban in Bulgaria has been postponed for January 1, 2014, the private TV Channel bTV announced.

The agreement has been reached during a meeting between Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov and representatives of hotel and restaurant owners, who are quoted saying they were deeply grateful to Borisov for the "pleasant surprise" and vowed to "be ready" by 2014.

The full smoking ban was voted by the previous Parliament and was supposed to become effective on July 1, 2010, but the new majority of the Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria (GERB) party amended the ban and adopted new rules providing for partial smoking restrictions.

The restrictions became effective in December 2010, and owners of small establishments were supposed to decide if the facility would be smoking or non-smoking while those of larger ones were mandated to have separate smoking and non-smoking spaces. Just days ago, the Health Ministry announced the full smoking ban for small establishments would be introduced in the summer.

The series of postponements are explained with allowing owners to make gradual expenses to upgrade the facilities and include ventilation equipment and non-smoking areas.

According to cabinet experts, the measure would lead to the bankruptcy of 10% of restaurants and coffee shops, to BGN 550 M less in annual turnover and would leave 15 000 employees on the streets. Losses for the State amount to BGN 94 M in unpaid Value Added Tax (VAT), BGN 11 M in unpaid corporate tax, BGN 23 M from unpaid insurance contributions for laid-off workers and BGN 8 M for unemployment compensations.

Results from the December 2010 partial ban, show the turnover of facilities with separate smoking and non-smoking areas went down by 30%

Return to “Media Coverage”