couple forced to sell home for food

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

dylan

couple forced to sell home for food

Postby dylan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Dont know what to make of this story but there seems to be one every few months and it is never the persons fault it seems. Surely if things got so bad over time for whatever reason then you would ALWAYS make sure you had enough to get back te britain. dylan family or friends?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/7986466. ... _for_food/

Link fixed
Mod
8)

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Sounds like another 'fill in' story for the Eastborne Rag. We can only guess at the real facts, but a Cafe for 9 Grand that they obviously did not even visit before parting with their money and, who were they going to sell food and drinks too not knowing the language.

He is 65 and entitled to a pension so I don't see how they could starve. She is nearly 20 years younger so can find some kind of work, surely. :?

dylan

Postby dylan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Correct M W , just what i was thinking and also how does a story like that end up in the newspaper? dylan

Loobs

Postby Loobs » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Fair play if they can find a buyer for the house too.

stevetheyorky
Super User!
Super User!

Postby stevetheyorky » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:10 pm

"didn't have enough money to phone the British embassy"

Presumably had enough to call the Argus, unless their reporting tean really do scour the world for a story

steve

mandyjeancole
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mandyjeancole » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:39 pm

Well that's that sorted then, You can always rely on good ole MyBulgaria members for sympathy. MJC

Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Offering neither sympathy nor condemnation cos really I don,t know enough about the case... BUT.....always that great BUT......as people who only came here a relatively short time ago they seem to have got into trouble fairly quickly.
I know one thing for sure.........I,d rather leave everything here behind me and go home to get some sort of work...no matter how lowly paid.....and I,d find a roof over our heads someway...rather than stay here and suffer. I say all the time that I don,t know how our villagers manage here day in year out with no escape from the drudgery of poverty. But they have no other choice....anyone who came here from another country HAS a choice. So, you won,t go back to what you had before..?..so what.....start again....wherever you are from and no matter if you are "billy no mates" there will be some sort of support for you.
This place certainly does,nt mean enough to us that we,d live here in poverty.......but as has been pointed out over a long time in the forum...many people came here without REALLY thinking it out. Sad but true.

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:06 pm

This place seems to be a bit to the north west of VT. Novinite is running the story in English and here are the comments.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=114981

Author: DeuBug, 7 Apr 2010 19:10:35
Eastbourne Couple Sell Bulgarian Dream Home for Food
Well, that's really a bad experience. What I don't understand though is, how can anyone live without some kind of monthly income? I for instance, unlike many Brits who have sold a property in the UK for a substantial sum, came here to BG with very little capital, having never owned property that I could make a killing selling in the UK property market. However I do have a small income that keeps the wolves from the door. I too was the victim of thieves but I had also been burglarised in the UK so when it happened in Bulgaria, the experience didn't floor me. Two of my unwelcome "visitors" got 2 years in jail. They were caught after a villager noted down their vehicle registration.
reply | view initial story
Author: NellieotAmerica, 7 Apr 2010 19:23:38
People don't realize that there is no safety net in Bulgaria. you are on your own, sink or swim. It is not the place for sick, old people who don't speak Bulgarian and have no connections in the country. They should go back to GB and save themselves.
Author: NellieotAmerica, 7 Apr 2010 19:41:27
Most people living in remote villages put iron bars on their doors and windows to keep thieves out. The dog was probably poisoned by the thieves so he wouldn't bark when they came to steal. Gypsies do this sort of thing, not ethnic Bulgarians. Brits need to protect themselves against the gypsies in Bulgaria.
Author: MJC, 7 Apr 2010 20:17:42
To John & Sandra Dont know where you are in Bulgaria, but your welcome to stay with us if you want ? Is it possible you can let me know on this Forum ? MJC

steph-dom

please help john and sandra in butovo, near pavlikeni VT

Postby steph-dom » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:58 pm

stevetheyorky wrote:"didn't have enough money to phone the British embassy"

Presumably had enough to call the Argus, unless their reporting tean really do scour the world for a story

steve

no they used my PC and my internet. they live in my village.

they cant even afford a loaf of bread.
we are helping feed them, they have nothing and i mean nothing.

dont for 1 minute think that this some sob story or they havent tried to find work. they will work for half the pay of a poor gypsy to survive.

they have held out as long as they can waiting for his 65th birthday when he gets his pension. thats july 26th

their situation is DIRE and we really feel for them.

please dont judge these people, HELP THEM.

they are lovely, kind and helpful people. a little eccentric maybe but non the less human beings.

in a situation like this i feel us brits in the area should stick together and give a little.

they are crying out for help and have nobody to help them.

call me on 0885566528 and any help offered will literally save a life.

tandt
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tandt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:48 pm

There are other Brits living in Butovo;
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... ght=butovo

Can't they help, give them some work maybe ?
Trev.

Return to “Media Coverage”