couple forced to sell home for food

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

mandyjeancole
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mandyjeancole » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Dont think you quiet understand flowers..How on earth do you cater for being robbed & stripped of your dignity then abandoned by a system that really doesn't care..this is not just about pensions & how much you can save before you come to Bulgaria it goes way beyond that.

This particular case may not have all the hallmarks of some that i have personal knowledge of & there may well be a smidgen of naivety to their plight, but please do not think that a pension alone would have solved the problem because that would be naive in the extreme ! MJC
Last edited by mandyjeancole on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steph-dom

Re: charity

Postby steph-dom » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:40 pm

adele wrote:Charity begins at home and people are helping but have got fed up with negative posts, i know this foum is for everyone to have their say but when i joined it was about HELPING EACH OTHER lets see if it can go back to that

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

A few have made contributions so far and i cant thank these people enough.
as soon as any contribution is received, its passed on the same day. thanks for the kind comments about us, we really appreciate it.

weve heard many 3rd or 4th hand stories about these people and most of it turned out to be wildly exagerrated so we decided to visit them and see for ourselves what their situation was.

anything i say is what they have told me and we sat down (on the steps as there was no chairs) and they told us all that had happened.
i wanted to know before i got involved, just like most people are saying on here.
after we left their house i went shopping alone. my wife said on the phone we have to help these people, i replied ive already been to the supermarket and bought some food for them. at first they wouldnt even accept the offer of help but i wouldnt leave until they took it. afterwards
they couldnt thank us enough for the kind gesture.

now everyday we make sure they have a good hearty meal with the help from ourselves and others. i have offered to help john sort his pension online at our home.

if anyone needs any wiring, ive been informed by john, he was a qualified sparky. the problem is he hasnt got transport. i wish i knew that 6 months ago, i used a bulgarian and was way overcharged!

Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:41 pm

I suggested this thread was becoming boring....certainly NOT to intimidate anyone but because its about waffle now....those who are mostly suggesting help be given should get on with it.......but and I have to say as it comes across to me....very few actually want to do it...yea, they want to talk about it....talk is cheap. I would not want to offer any help in this case but I fully respect those that want to....all about choice...we choose to live here....no one is a prisoner here.....some fools..let there be doubt thats what they are..came here with pie in the sky dreams and not a lot of research done...nor any back up plan. I am sorry to say that at my age the oul sympathy well is running low......not a lot left for those who came here without much thought to the future...I,ll keep my sympathy for people who really need it...like those in Haiti.
But to reiterate...its all about choice...anyone wants to give...do it.Don,t waffle.

BigD

Postby BigD » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:48 am

I have been back through all the posts again and still don't understand much more than page 1. They bought a property, sight unseen, for £9000, sold it for £4500 and bought another. Thieves took TV, Computer, Catering Equip, Money, Ring, etc. and poisoned the dog. They them somehow had a TV, Catering Equip, Table and Chairs to sell at knockdown prices and now have no money or food.
Steph-Dom is helping with food and says "Anything I say is what they have told me" but all he adds is that Jim is an electrician without transport. and that he can get his UK pension in July.
I applaud MJC for her unquestioning charity but do wonder, as others have suggested, if it should be directed at getting together UK airfares for them?
Adele, whose plight I also read about, at least came on here, laid out her problems, offered to work anywhere at any job and seems to have succeeded, with great help from Steve at Ruse. It can be made to work but only with the right attitude, it seems.
I am still 'sitting on the fence' , as it where and would need much more information than I have to bring me down, one side or the other.
D

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:02 pm

My last question in this thread, (I promise), what would happen to this couple if NOBODY in the Expat community offered any financial help whatsoever?

dylan

Postby dylan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:32 pm

They would have to go home like hundreds of other families that ran out of money and didnt get or ask for financial help in this country or any other. This thread was started as a observation of the story and THOUGHTS forum members might have on it. It was quickly taken over by some standard bearers who wanted to save some poor soul. To these people, if you want to help them then start a new thread, couple starving and need help from those willing to give. Start a secret fund! What is all that about? If i visit some exotic place in the world and dont take enough money,dont plan for unseen circumstances but just enjoy it till the roof falls in then will the expat community bail me out because i am hungry, would i expect them to? What would happen to me if NOBODY offered help? Like MW my last posting on this subject, i promise . dylan

AJF

Postby AJF » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Quiet simple really, wrap up warm, shove all effects they can carry under their arms, stick their thumbs out and head for here:

British Embassy
9 Moskovska Street
Sofia 1000
Telephone
(359) (2) 933 9222

No shame in it, as literally thousands upon thousands of perhaps "less deserving" individuals look to the British tax payer for assistance every year.

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 pm

As I have intimated here before, you don't get that much at the British Consulate nowadays...

A cup of milky tea (but no biscuit), some sympathetic-sounding noises.... but (and this could be the useful bit :D ) also , maybe, a FREE phone call to the UK to ascertain whether any family, friends and relatives like you sufficiently to dosh out for your flight(s) back...

(But please note I only said 'maybe' on the free phone call....)

AJF

Postby AJF » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:23 am

Oh! come on, I'm sure if you sit outside long enough, huddled, shivering under a couple of blankets, the unbiased Bulgarian press would soon take an interest.
Before you know it you'd be subjected to the wonderful and varied cuisine served up by British Airways, however, they do confiscate your passport at the other end, some sort of insurance that you'll pay them back...

mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:50 am

mandyjeancole wrote:Dont think you quiet understand flowers..How on earth do you cater for being robbed & stripped of your dignity then abandoned by a system that really doesn't care..this is not just about pensions & how much you can save before you come to Bulgaria it goes way beyond that.

This particular case may not have all the hallmarks of some that i have personal knowledge of & there may well be a smidgen of naivety to their plight, but please do not think that a pension alone would have solved the problem because that would be naive in the extreme ! MJC

I would have thought you catered for being robbed by being insured,as for being abandoned by a system that doesn't care, I assume you mean the UK system as Bulgaria doesn't have one,and if so they left the security of the non caring system in the UK, they abandoned it. I think the lack of research is the cause of their woes.

Mick

Return to “Media Coverage”