The Russian are Coming (Legally)..

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
PCVrach

Postby PCVrach » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:21 pm

Scot47 we have had over a dozen Russian visitors to our villa who share my experience of being unable to understand Bulgarian. Many of these spoke more than one language. While I am not saying you (or MW) are lying, I have to believe my experiences as you do.

Your Russian abilities must be better than mine then, I am unable to watch movies and TV shows in Russian as the speech is too quick. You would have to be thinking in Russian rather than translating Russian to English (as I have to) to be able to keep up IMHO.

I can manage with the subtitles on, but often find they do not translate everything correctly, so they keep the general gist but not translate word for word, probably would not make much sense if they did as the grammar and syntax of the 2 languages differs quite a lot :)

Regards, David.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
PCVrach

Russians

Postby PCVrach » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:17 pm

As I suspected our friends from Latvia who speak fluently in Russian also do not understand Bulgarian, we had fun teaching them some new words :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: Russians

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:50 am

PCVrach wrote:As I suspected our friends from Latvia who speak fluently in Russian also do not understand Bulgarian, we had fun teaching them some new words :)

What are the origins of the Latvian language - German? It is unusual these days for Latvian's to admit knowing Russian as most refuse to speak it unless they class themselves as ethnic Russian. Not even sure if Russian is taught in Latvian schools nowadays.

Anyway, let others take up the discussion and those more qualified than I. There appears to be NO definitive answer to the discussion, but I guess some folk are more attuned to languages than others. I only read the first page of the link, but there are loads more. Enjoy.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=90698

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
PCVrach

Russian

Postby PCVrach » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:57 pm

You are suprised our best friends sister and family admit to us they understand Russian? To other Latvians they don't know, yes as there is strong anti-Russian feelings in that country, as indeed is the case with most former Soviet Union countries.

Russians are still going to Bulgaria in numbers but it is because many Bulgarians speak or understand Russian rather than the other way around. Krenevo and Balchik seem popular with them, Golden Sands less so.

Return to “Media Coverage”