Inside a Bulgarian detention centre

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Hmmm. Sorry if this offends, but...

I sort of agree with some of what's been said on here, but I also have a sneaky feeling that if you came from a country where there was little employment and no welfare, you would do anything you could to improve your kid's lives and try to give them some sort of future. I know I would. We are fortunate that we come from a welfare state and none of us really know what it's like to starve. (I'll ignore the bit about the hunger strike - I agree that is totally stupid) But surely anyone is entitled to do what they can to try to improve the lives of their children? If the UK (or any other) government is stupid enough to hand out money the way they do, they are at fault, not the people who receive those benefits.

Be honest, if someone walked up to you in the street and said 'Here's 100 quid, have it with my blessing' wouldn't you take it?

I grew up in Hounslow which must be close to 100% Asian by now and was pretty dark 50 years ago when I was a kid. I constantly heard complaints about them from the rapidly diminishing white population - my own grandmother was probably the worst offender - but it only happens because the government allow it to happen. And who votes the government in? There needs to be a huge reform of the benefits system, and they need to stop kow-towing to the EU, but IMHO we should stop blaming the people who take advantage and put the responsibility where it belongs.

Joss

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Blaiddog

Postby Blaiddog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:14 pm

I do agree with Joss re the coment that was made. nobody in the UK does starve but mainly they are like most of us on here who have worked for a living to support our wives and children and now we are in the position where we cant feed the world and yes the system does need looking at,I read a comment made by Cameron and the teaboy recently where they are wanting to make the allowance that imigrants claim for a house to £600 per week,are they for real I allways like to think I earned good money but to be honest I could never afford a mortage off £600 a week,no I am sorry the world does have its poot a sad fact of life but there we are

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Blaiddog

Postby Blaiddog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Ops sorry poot was ment to read poor

That's why you have an 'edit' button above all your posts...! Mod :lol: :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fizzgiguk2001
<b>Transport Services/Prop M'ment</b>

Postby fizzgiguk2001 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:36 pm

The whole point here is about Bulgaria doing all it can to join the Schengen zone, it is tightening up its borders Especially with Turkey so that the EU has complete confidence in making the decision to allow them to join this is of course the first step for many Illegals in getting to the land of milk and honey.To this end I believe they have put many good measures in place for this to happen but let us not forget that this is not entering England we are talking about and the treatment of these people Illegally entering the country, are being kept in a DETENTION centre this may very well not be what we are accustomed to seeing in England with 3 squares a day, games rooms and colour Plasma's but the country would be up in arms if more money where spent on this rather than its own people and country in general which are far more needy.This being said these people have human rights but i believe that Bulgaria is meeting these adequately.
I think however that the processing/deportation of these people could be dealt with quicker to stop the obvious distress that this would cause to the children as they are only victims of the circumstances that their parents have subjected them to I would suggest that heavy fines(something that Bulgaria seems to be good at imposing)on the people that transport these immigrants would facilitate the funds that this would cost the state and perhaps if any money were left over from the fines imposed then this could be put to feeding some of the more disadvantaged of Bulgaria.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi Blaidog

Just never take your eyes off the money, where does the money end up. It does not end up in the pocket of an immigrant it ends up in the pocket of his landlord. Housing benefit has created more millionaires than the lottery.

Ah well.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:51 am

That Bulgarian detention centre compares favourably in appearance with the old beehive at Gatwick where they used to keep cattle before it was adapted for immigrants. It's a smart office centre and listed building now.

And Harmondsworth immigration detention centre near Heathrow had loads of nasty razor wire from which the occasional inmate would hang himself. It also had the original concrete bag blast walls from WW2.

The real difference is that in UK it is now illegal to lock up people for any great length of time because of their immigration status. Something to do with their human rights. They also have a tendency to burn down their accommodation if they are not strictly controlled so it's more practical to release them. It's difficult to remove them because they either have no i/d documents (false or deliberately destroyed) so nowhere will take them. If they turn violent pilots will not fly with them on board.

Of course migrants exploit their children. They take them along because it increases their chances of a win, as does being pregnant. "Huddled masses yearning to breathe free" or "wretched refuse of your teeming shore"? A bit of both I expect but mainly the latter.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Hmmmm, smelling pretty Daily Mail in here.

These facilities are brand new and they would have even nicer stuff if they hadn't set it all on fire once already. If you were running for your life from a regime that was intent on killing or otherwise oppressing you I suppose this place would be good enough. Of course al Jazeera will take this approach and having a balance to the eurocentric press is no bad thing. I particularly appreciate how the BG authorities gave what looks like pretty good access as well as an interview with Uncle B.

Return to “Media Coverage”