Just saw this.Germans get back to basics.

Look here to read or post general articles and links about Bulgaria from the press and to advise of pending relevant TV coverage.

Moderator: Moderator

Malarkey
Super User!
Super User!

Just saw this.Germans get back to basics.

Postby Malarkey » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Goats and herbs: Germans get back to basics in deserted Bulgarian village

Reutershttp://uk.reuters.com/article/20 ... US20150812

Or google
Goats and herbs: Germans get back to basics in deserted Bulgarian village

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:52 pm

The Gerries are not bad at doing this kind of thing, I have come across a few German colonies noteably Castellar just outside Gibraltar which they brought back from the dead, now thriving and quite chic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castellar_de_la_Frontera

they tend to colonise rather than integrate but BG is the great place for such settlements, good luck to them

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:58 pm

Germany has been influential in Bulgaria for a long time. Very strong links in the old days between the GDR and Bulgaria and I know quite a few Germano-Bulgar families.

Tsarev Brod with 50 German families was one of the areas settled in the 19th century. Rumania had a much larger German-speaking minority which had lived there from the 17th century.

The German minority in Bulgaria was resettled in the Reich in 1942. Individual Germans who were married to Bulgarians were permitted to stay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsarev_Brod

For the "Dobrudja Germans", see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobrujan_Germans
Last edited by scot47 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Malarkey
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Malarkey » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:21 pm

Anyone know how this group are doing, it really did seem very basic and as such fairly eco. I guess they would have sorted some shelter for winter and the pregnant women would have given birth by now.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:34 am

Like many tsigani, they're probably now picking pockets on the public transport of Sofia or back home in Germany claiming bennies.....I doubt a Bulgarian winter holds many attractions for them. ;)

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:08 am

I think Malarkey was posting about Germans living in Bulgaria. What has that got to do with Roma thieving ?

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:54 am

Don't poke the troll.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:10 pm

I thought that they lived under bridges and ate unsuspecting and innocent travellers ?

Malarkey
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Malarkey » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Ok they did seem a weird bunch from the original article .

Of the 22 people there was

1.A former consultant for IBM
2.An artist from Luxembourg who was also reported as being is a qualified plumber.
3. A qualified nurse
4. A carpenter, now self-described shaman who discovered the healing powers of herbs while seeing visions on his sickbed. Which although a bit off the wall but doesn't qualify as tsigani/ roma

"I really don't miss a nice house, or a hotel, or a good restaurant," Gumbrich said. "Maybe a good glass of wine from time to time,"

I wish that tsigani/roma had the advantages of education, housing and social provision that the above would have had.

The groups history prior to arriving in Bulgaria was fairly unusual as was the method they used to choose the particular village in Bulgaria, which was reported as follows

The group originated in Germany when Juergen Hummes, a 57-year-old carpenter-turned-shaman from Moenchengladbach, gained a following for healing through spiritual counseling, meditation and administering herbs and mineral stones.

Having sold their possessions and pooled their money, he and some followers settled first in a former youth hostel in the Black Forest but found life in Germany too stifling. They moved to Togo in 2007 and built a hospital, taught orphans and offered healing and natural medicines to the locals.

But having given all they could to Africa, and with many of them laid low by tropical diseases, the group was ready to move on. Hummes decided on Odrintsi while meditating over a map bought via the Internet.

Again I wish that tsigani/roma had the advantages of education, housing and social provision that the above would have had. And the autonomy to give up the privileges that many pf us take for granted, as these Germans have. However the majority of
tsigani/roma come from a base line of nothing and are despised by most of society.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:48 pm

..............and most Roma are sensible enough to prefer life in Moenchgladbach with a BMW parked outside the flat !
Last edited by scot47 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Media Coverage”