Heavy goods vehicle training

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

bagpuss
Super User!
Super User!

Heavy goods vehicle training

Postby bagpuss » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:09 pm

Howdy all,

Is there a nice person out in MYBG land who knows of a hgv/lgv training school in the Yambol/ Bourgas areas OR has knowledge of.

I am thinking about upgrading my hgv/lgv license and maybe arranging it in Bulgaria if the costs were alot cheaper.It would also depends on any upgrades if they would be valid here in the Uk.

regards
B.

mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Do they train them?I thought they sat them in the vehicle and told them to aim as fast as they can.

Mick

bagpuss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bagpuss » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:50 pm

Yeah i do know what you mean.....................day in day out. ](*,)

I heard that if you can drive a tractor & trailer in Bulgaria then you have entitlement to obtain a full lgv class 1 license (artic) here in the uk. :-k

So i am sort of hoping it won't be as intense or as strict as here in the UK and most of all NOT as expensive. :smt023

Regards
B.

Rossa
<b>Prop Management/Building Services</b>

Postby Rossa » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:08 pm

My fiance just passed his test for c + e licence. It was 2 parts, written and driving. Cost was around 800 lv in Dobrich. My Dad has the same licence in the UK (about £2000 for his!) and from what I've heard the Bulgarian test is nothing like the UK one. My fiancee had a few lessons, mainly reversing both straight and around a corner. They gave him the list of all possible questions in the test, along with the answers to study beforehand. He also had to do some tinkering with connecting the trailer (I'm not up on the jargon sorry!).

I'm not 100% but I think if you pased the test here you would have to apply for a new Bulgarian licence. There is info on the DVLA about licences from other countries, what is valid and changing them to UK ones.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck if you do go ahead.

bagpuss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bagpuss » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:50 am

Hi Rossa,

Thanks for the info.

I will be stumped on the Bulgarian language to start with :lol: . I was just wondering if it was possible to upgrade my existing UK lgv license (class 2 18 ton rigid) in Bulgaria and do the test in Bulgaria and then have it added back/converted onto my Uk license After all we are all in the EU now........

Perhaps i will ask Oggi ( the removal guy) he might know

cheers :smt023

Adolf
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Adolf » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:45 pm

This is an extract from the Sofia Echo of March this year.

http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/licence-to-drive-in-bulgaria/id_20951/catid_5

The Sofia Echo asked the ministry’s Kostadin Vardev when foreigners will be able to take the driving exam in English, given that Bulgarian law does not allow an interpreter during the exam.

“The English translation of the driving tests has already been done by the ministry and the tests are being sent to the printers.

However, I do not know when the printing companies will be ready with the English version. It depends on them. I expect that very soon the English version will be in the distribution network,” Vardev said.

The English version of 800 multiple-choice questions will be sold as an supplement to the Bulgarian tests. The documents will be identical but the foreigner may take the test in English, not in Bulgarian, Vardev said.

“Once you have the English version of the driving tests you can go to any driving school and start your lessons,” he said.

It depended on the driving school, whether it would be willing to teach foreigners and how much it would charge them for lessons, Vardev said.

He said that there were plans to translate the tests into German, French, Spanish and Italian, but “first we want to see how strong the interest will be among foreigners in taking the Bulgarian driving licence test,” Vardev said.

Tonev said that interest was likely to be strong.

“We expect many foreigners to come to apply for Bulgarian driving licences because the course is much cheaper here than in other EU states,” he said.

Given that Bulgarian driving licences are recognised in every EU member state, the average price of 250 euro for obtaining one in Bulgaria will be very attractive to foreigners, Tonev said. For example, a candidate driver in Germany must pay more than 1000 euro for a driving test. In France the average price is 800 euro.

Plenty of schools here. http://www.need.bg/en/?c=24. Maria's site is in English but she's obviously going for the Le Mans market or something is lost in translation because

The driving lessons last 24 hours

The potential for "driving test tourism" seems to be limited. To apply for an EU Member State Driving Licence you must have your ordinary adddress in the EU state concerned. There is an exception for students, who have a choice of country of study (6 months plus) or home country.

Bear in mind Article 7(5) Directive 91/439/EEC: No person may hold a driving licence from more than one Member State. On an exchange (when they get round to introducing that) the Bulgarians will send your UK one to DVLA Swansea for verification and DVLA keeps it.

Rossa
<b>Prop Management/Building Services</b>

Postby Rossa » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:40 pm

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Try asking DVLA. If you gave them your current class2 licence with a Bulgarian Class1 pass certificate would they update your licence or not.

I'd be interested to know how you get on. I can't drive a car with trailer with my licence and often need to for work purposes. I have thought about doing the test here in Bulgaria but when we asked the driving school they said they don't do it, but would look into it for me. I think everyone has it automatically on their licence in Bulgaria, like it used to be in the UK.

bagpuss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bagpuss » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Thanks Folks,
I will have a word with DVLA.

B.

intheabove
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby intheabove » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:05 pm

i want to do this too, anyone found any more of interest?

buggy
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby buggy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:55 am

hi
i too am looking at taking my class 1 test here in bg. if anybody has any upto date tips and advice i would be grateful.
i am in the vt area.

Return to “Trades People”