rewiring my house

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sharon45uk

Postby sharon45uk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:31 am

Hi John,

Had a word with him indoors and he said: Yes he does rewire houses as in the uk and not on the system they use here which is radials to each room, he wires to uk IEE standards and also makes sure the house is earthed properly, which here in Bulgaria even though often stated, in most cases is not done.

It sounds like you need your house properly testing and until its been seen your question about tripping a fuse cannot be answered fully.

If you wish him to visit your location to test it, you can either skype him on electrician.bg , or you can contact me here.

Regards,

Sharon

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Jerico
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby Jerico » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:24 pm

Please be aware that UK standards are not the same as BG standards.

Any system that is not BG appproved could cause you problems in the future.

It is also arrogant to come to another country and ignore their regulations, in favour of a different (i.e. more familiar) sytem.

There are many more quailified members here who can discuss the pro's and con's of both system.

I presonally feel the Uk system is excellent but massively over complicated and technical to the standard lay man (or woman).

Current UK regulations state only register and qualified sparkies can play with your electrics, not some one who used to do it 'a bit' in the UK 'a few years ago'.

My advice, which has not changed is-Use a qualifies BG sparky (yes, they have documents) and get them independantly checked.

YOU ARE NOT IN THE UK ANYMORE

Jerico

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sharon45uk

Postby sharon45uk » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi Jerico,

I agree with what you say about uk standards not being the same as bulgarian standards. However, if the british people out here would prefer their homes wired to uk standards whether they are more complicated to do or not, then i feel that is their choice.

If the electrician is qualified to 'IEE standards' then he 'would' be qualified to rewire a house. No layman (or woman) would rewire my house, only someone i know was fully qualified, which my husband is.

I also don't feel it is arrogance to want a better system installed, in fact i say it would be improving it. I for one want to live somewhere safe. So asking someone that 'IS' qualified and not someone that only 'plays with electrics' as you put it. I don't suppose anyone should ever play about with something so serious as electrical systems and peoples lives when it comes to re-wiring a home they intend living or staying in. I prefer to have my house wired safely by someone i know that is qualified and who will also earth the house with a proper earthstake, which unfortunately is not always done in most cases over here.

Bulgaria have been in the EU now since January 2007, so bulgarian homes eventually are going to have to be re-wired to EU standards which are of course the same system as used in the UK and thoughout the rest of Europe.

Too many people assume that you get the best work done on someone elses say over here, because Joe Bloggs had some work done by whoever's uncle that is a maestro builder, this is not always true, as i have found out to my horror through personal experience, having to have work Re-done to my properties once i arrived out here, obviously at additional cost to me.

Luckily for me, my husand IS a fully qualified 'Sparky', with over 25 years of re-wiring properties for councils, private builders and of course working for his fathers building company in the UK, as his father and brothers are builders also. I put my total trust in him as i know my homes are now safe for me and my family to live in.

We own more than one house here in Bulgaria, one of which was re-wired by a 'qualified bulgarian electrician' with papers i might add before we arrived over here. There was no earth stake fitted (although we were promised that there would be) and i kept getting electric shocks from various metal appliances in the house. The wiring itself was not like 'Spaghetti junction', but more like 'Spaghetti leftovers' and in my opinion the workmanship was shoddy and i felt my house was not safe to live in. Whether i live in the uk or have chosen bulgaria or any other country to reside in is not really the issue here, but safety is.

I have looked on your website and know that you are an englishman with your own business, living and working here in bulgaria yourself, i guess that you don't approve of change and do everything the bulgarian way, that is your choice, but you will find that lots of people requesting an english electrician to rewire their house to uk standards, is not asking for one because they want it wired by a bulgarian, that is their choice too.

On your website you stated and i quote "Our goal is to provide you with the home you want to the standard you expect". That is exactly right and what people 'are' asking for. You also say on your website and i quote again:- "Why should you expect poor workmanship and bad building practises because you have chosen to live in Bulgaria?" and you are right yet again, why should we/us/them/you even have something we are not happy with?

May i wish you all the luck in your building business, but please Jerico, do not try and put people off having their own opinions, about how safe they want their houses to be when wanting their homes re-wired to UK/EU standards, by reminding them they are not in the uk anymore, i think they already know that.

Regards Sharon

(Please note:- i did not use capital letters in any of my reply, as in internet etiquette/jargon, call it what you will, that using capital letters is considered to be shouting at someone)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
SimonTrace
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby SimonTrace » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:12 pm

Great post Sharon.

I'll no doubt be in touch when I get out there :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shield

Postby shield » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi ALL,

My understanding is you still do not need to be registered or qualified in the uk 2009, (although I think the UK was wrong in not making it like gas, just coming up with part p building regs was a mistake) if you are a competent person and working to the 17th edition that's all you need. ( In short, reg part p just means you can fill in the paperwork for the council).

this is just for the sparks who have been away.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:58 pm

The argument about the preference of the British v the Bulgarian electrical system has gone on for a long time and I say each to there own.

My one worry is if you bother to have your house insured and you have an electrical fire caused by a british system is your cover still valid.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
xt600
Super User!
Super User!

Postby xt600 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

As has been pointed out to Jerico already, you DO NOT have to be registered to do your own electrics in the UK, but if you are not registered, you have to notify the local building authorities before carrying out the work. It is then their responsibility (for a fee) to check that the work has been done to the current regulations.
By the way, Part P was introduced in order to keep tabs on all electricians' earnings, as it was felt that some may be doing cash jobs and avoiding income tax. It was nothing at all do do with 'saving lives'! The UK is one of the safest countries in the world regading electrical installations, with most deaths/injuries occuring because of faulty equipment, NOT because of faulty installations!
Sharon is right in what she says, it's far better to have an installation to Uk standards. I've yet to see a Bg electrical installation that can be regarded as 'safe', even a new one.
BTW Sharon, does your husband buy materials locally or does he import his own?
I am doing a rewire for a BG friend, but will bring the control gear from the UK because i cannot find decent quality in BG...

Return to “Trades People”