Cowboys and handymen

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mayhew
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Cowboys and handymen

Postby mayhew » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:34 pm

If your fed up with cowboys click on this link :D
http://www.facebook.com/groups/243709402344830/

Or if your a tradesman

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Secret_Squirrel

Re: Cowboys and handymen

Postby Secret_Squirrel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:05 am

mayhew wrote:If your fed up with cowboys click on this link :D

Or if your a tradesman

I was told by a Bulgarian lawyer, that if I would not do it in the UK, do not do it in Bulgaria.

I would never use someone in the UK with an advert like this. Anyone doing so deserves to be taught a lesson. If you do use them, make sure it is a small amount of money, so your lesson is not too expensive.
The post also states "Or if your a tradesman". This speaks for itself. How do they know the tradesmen they are recommending are any good? Answer, they don't.
In the UK we have "check a trade". Again, I would never use this company. I always keep clear of 0800 numbers in the UK as they are normally cowboys.
I wonder what the BG equivelent of 0800 numbers are.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:50 am

Secret_Squirrel wrote: I always keep clear of 0800 numbers in the UK as they are normally cowboys.
I wonder what the BG equivelent of 0800 cowboy numbers are.

Easy, in BG if anyone gives you a phone number beginning with an "0" be suspicious. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:13 am

Or if your a tradesman

Can you give an outline of the ad. Some of us aren't on Facebook!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Norman-D-Beeches
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Norman-D-Beeches » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

Excellent idea, and long overdue.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08 am

lyn wrote:

Or if your a tradesman

Can you give an outline of the ad. Some of us aren't on Facebook!

Agreed, nor ever likely to be. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mayhew
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby mayhew » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:55 pm

brianj42 wrote:
Secret_Squirrel wrote: I always keep clear of 0800 numbers in the UK as they are normally cowboys.
I wonder what the BG equivelent of 0800 cowboy numbers are.

Easy, in BG if anyone gives you a phone number beginning with an "0" be suspicious. :lol:

I would like to put the record straight and dismiss the claims that everyone is a cowboy. The GROUP is not a advert, It is a service of information. There are no fees attached and I do try to vet people. There is a section to name and shame cowboys/diy ers So until you actually read a book you cant comment on it can you or you would be a complete idiot.
My back ground is in construction and I have been for the last 30 years, if you know anything about the construction industry then you would know about the Construction Skills Certification Scheme which is run by the UK Government.
So please before you make accusation about things that you have not checked out yourself, please keep your comments to yourself.
The TRADESMEN on there are time served which can be check.
I always tell people not to depart with there money until the job is complete and they are completely satisfied

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:20 pm

mayhew wrote:The TRADESMEN on there are time served which can be check.
I always tell people not to depart with there money until the job is complete and they are completely satisfied

What you are doing is a good idea. But.

Time served Tradesmen doesn't automatically exhonerate them from being crap builders or dishonest, I have lived in BG and met many so called "tradesmen".

I see you have a few builders in BG on there, can you confirm how you vet them, is it by the actual workmanship/inspection of their work, the feedback from their clients, a one on one interview. Are you more than happy to recommend these people and stake your reputation on it ?

I appreciate "you" recommend that clients don't pay a penny until the job is done and they are happy, and to me this is how it should be. But, is this the case with the builders you are recommending. I know of at least 2 on your site who ask for money up front.

And BTW, I have project managed numerous UK housing sites for 5 major housebuilders and have met as many cowboys with certificates as not, but not sure if I could stand by promoting "professional tradesmen" on facebook if I really don't know that much about them, unless I had worked with them for a few years.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
adele
Super User!
Super User!

cowboys

Postby adele » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:37 pm

Bravo mayhew, as per usual certain members on here shout about things they have not bothered to check plus making some not very nice comments and putting people down.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mayhew
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Re: cowboys

Postby mayhew » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:58 pm

adele wrote:Bravo mayhew, as per usual certain members on here shout about things they have not bothered to check plus making some not very nice comments and putting people down.

Thank you, I get p*ssed off with people jumping on there high horse and thinking they know better.
All I am trying to do is weed out the people who say they are builders/tradesmen.
At least some people do try to stop the winggers and whinners lol

Return to “Trades People”