Cowboys and handymen

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:49 am

CSCS Cards:

http://www.healthsafetytest.co.uk/cscs-card.html

The different coloured cards have different NVQ equivalents.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
missbeans

cowboys and tradesmen

Postby missbeans » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:19 pm

If you want to "weed out" cowboys, its really very simple. advertise for a builder or carpenter or the like, tell them you would like them to do a days work and set specific tasks for them. watch them (good guys who are good at their jobs will not be put off, in fact quite the reverse). then look at the completed work etc and you SHOULD know wether or not they are genuine. A good test is to ask them to do a mitred corner in a door surround, or something requiring a mathematical equasion......

BUT.....the best way is to bring someone from poland who has a good reputation, or somebody you know back home.........worth the money in the end. All you can do with 90 per cent of people who advertise their "skills" in bulgaria is make a bl**dy western. :evil:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
white-knight

Postby white-knight » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Im totaly lovin this thread .....its so funny.

What bl**dy relevence do all the UK qualifactions make to anyone living in BG ...NONE i would say .

Theres BG workers that can do all the jobs you require & most probably at a lower cost than these so called "time served" builders plus they know how to build here due to the land shift which occurs during the extreme weather conditions.

Time served with UK qualifactions means nothing here in BG unless your looking to pay a high price for your required work.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Secret_Squirrel

Postby Secret_Squirrel » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:12 pm

I am just waiting for the next episode of this thread. I will view tomorrow.
Will mayhew tell us about more qualifications? Will he make his facebook site open, so it can be viewed properly?
Will some newbies appear telling us all why we should use these builders?
Will more posters want more builders to come for a days trial, one of which tests will be to ask them to do a mitred corner in a door surround?
Will mayhew do some more name calling of the other posters,especially those who are not rushing to sign up for his closed facebook group?
Will someone state that certain NVQ level 1 qualifications are Muppet studies?

Tune in tomorrow for the next episode. :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stewarty
drunken lout

Postby stewarty » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:34 pm

NVQ level 1 qualifications are Muppet studies?

NVQ = Not Very Qualified :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:27 am

Construction Skills Certification Ltd is a company limited by guarantee which has been on the go for 17 years. The latest accounts show almost £1,000,000 cash at bank.

Apparently 1,671,454 people have CSCS cards.

The oversight element seems to be provided by ConstructionSkills, Reg Charity No 264289.

I doubt if any of it is worth a damn. From my own experience the NVQ scheme is a verbose paperchase whose sole achievement as far as I can see is to support "trainers" who know little about anything practical. Some NVQs gained in sectors where the big employers co-operate probably are worth something, though they'd be worth a lot more if they were called something else.

If Mayhew is frank and knows the building trade I am sure he will admit that when certification moved away from the industry it ceased to mean anything. All part of the process of cheating its youth, in which the UK is a market leader. I did an apprenticeship and learnt a lot, even though my master was not an easy man. There again, neither was I. I was never tarred and feathered but suffered some humiliations which were very educational.

He will also know that to be a building contractor it is not necessary to have a trade, though many do. What is important is to have, and keep, a team. That is difficult in good times and in hard times as well. I was involved in speculative house conversions for a few years and know how tough it is. Financially, it's feast or famine. The building contractor doesn't develop on his own account but he still needs a fair amount of capital. Prepayments by Clients are legitimate but they are often applied to finance other jobs.

Finally I am sure he would agree that if there were no "stupid cow" clients there would be no cowboys. The client has got the major responsibility for the successful running of a building contract and if he or she does not have the requisite knowledge (and it is unlikely that they do) they need someone to advise them how to specify, run and certify the contract. Otherwise they are shirking their responsibilities, inviting the attentions of a cowboy, and facing the outcome of a bad job and loss of money. To expect anything else is a dream.

Have there ever been small building contractors in Bulgaria? I rather doubt it from what I have seen. So I wish Mayhew well, without endorsing him or condemning him. But a few references to the Construction Chamber and the extent of its powers would, I respectfully suggest, inspire more confidence than references to CSCS. Maybe they are there on Facebook. If so, my apologies but lights under that particular bushel remain hidden from me.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:35 am

In my experience even in the UK some reasonably large contractors come into the cowboy league.
The extent of an individuals skills will only become apparent after watching him or her work for a while. Verbal vetting is, at best, somewhat doubtful. The only way I know of to realize the worth of an individual, is to go and see several of his works and then to speak to the persons for whom the works were done. At the domestic level it is much more useful to read the body language of the contractor, then see his work if you like what you read.
One contractor will not suit all clients no matter how good he is, so joining a group where the senior person only tries to vet the members is asking for trouble. If the scheme the OP proposed is going to work the vetting needs to be very thorough and there needs to be some control over his members exercised by the OP. The extent of the vetting also needs to be stated.
With no money involved there is no contract between the OP and clients, so there is no recourse if the members work is poor. It seems to me that clients are no better off for using the scheme than if they did not.
Finally the production of a modern building qualification, forged or otherwise is definitely no guarantee of good work, either in BG or the UK.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
therocknroller

cscs scheme

Postby therocknroller » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:16 am

the cscs card its a load of tosh if you had been in the building game you would know this, me and 4 other people got ares given we were on a site a representative from cscs came sat us down in the break cabin gave us all this test paper then read out the answers so know one got it wrong and went 2 weeks later cscs card came in the post the reason he was so keen no one faild is money as there like a subcontracted firm for cscs they get more money for everone who passes also i should state i have no qulifacations but have worked in the building game since i left school!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:32 am

Fake CSCS Cards

http://www.shipshaperesources.com/clien ... d=20091008

Ok. Fake ones can come out in the wash if you are a welder travelling the Uk and eventually the CSCS Gestapo do site visits. But how is that going to help your average Joe who is looking for a new roof in Popovo or a kitchen extension in Basingstoke, would they really question or check certificates and cards ?.

Fake NVQ's & City & Guilds are also readily available, hey, you can even get you an Oxford degree for £69.90 if you are interested.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cates.html

Anyone for an Ology ?

Next time you apply for a new drivers licence tick the Doctor box for title...It works well at police stops. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:40 am

seathrift wrote:At the domestic level it is much more useful to read the body language of the contractor,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If the trades man or woman stands the wrong way, maybe if they burp too loudly, scratch their arse, what if they shake ur hand in a manner you dislike, talk alot, move their arms too much? Really the garbarge that people think - stare at the person and judge their craft work. I most certainly would worry if left alone in a house with that type of customer.

Watch their body movements and that leads to their quality of work.[-X
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Trades People”