cost of unskilled labour

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:34 am

well scott,

everyone has 2 choices if you are new to a village and want to employ village workers in the hope that you might get a decent result from their work

1. pay little and get little - and you end up paying again to get the work put right

or

2. pay a lot thinking you get a better service but you wont.
then you will be the laughing stock of the village because they have ripped you off.
furthermore, anyone else you employ from the village will also think he can get
away with ripping you off

everyone has the 2 choices scott.

I do not have a house now because I cannot be bothered to deal with the village work mentality. I do free house sitting to guard other peoples finished
houses. its cheaper for me and cheaper for house owners. They do not get robbed if its not empty.

do I sense that you will always go for option 2 above scott ?

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:58 am

Treat people fairly and be sensible. And avoid expat circles. Learn the language and the culture. Get on with people.

I wonder why someone with the attitude of "Flaghostel" is in Bulgaria.

varnagirl
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnagirl » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:34 am

[quote="FlagHostel"]well scott,

everyone has 2 choices if you are new to a village and want to employ village workers in the hope that you might get a decent result from their work

1. pay little and get little - and you end up paying again to get the work put right

or

2. pay a lot thinking you get a better service but you wont.
then you will be the laughing stock of the village because they have ripped you off.
furthermore, anyone else you employ from the village will also think he can get
away with ripping you off

/quote]

Actually thats spot on...and even with option2 you will still possible have to pay again ...and again , to try and put it right

yes Scott , thats with Treating people fairly and being sensible !!

FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:01 pm

Thakyou varnagirl.

You are also spot on.

If anyone on here has a village house fully restored paying 20 levs a day ONCE only,
Can you let me know please

?

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:20 pm

If you play the role of the "Rich White Settler" you will get what you deserve.

varnagirl
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnagirl » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:29 pm

scot47 wrote:If you play the role of the "Rich White Settler" you will get what you deserve.

never actually done that ,... but still survived , albeit , not actually living in a village and not having local conections by being part of a bulgarian family :lol:
must help ..not only with costs but with knowledge 8)

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:10 pm

Flags

The price requested was for unskilled labour, not tradesmen

I pay 40-60 lev for a tradesman and 15-25 for unskilled

There are some good builders in BG but its not a good idea to leave them unattended or even worse try to do a project remotely,but that goes for anywhere in the world.

in answer to your question yes I have renovated three houses to date based on the above rates although try to stick to pricework.

Im not sure that BG people have a rip off culture, they just have a go at things they really shouldnt be doing but quite often with good intentions, you have to step in and stop them sometimes and get a proper builder.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:12 pm

scot47 wrote:Treat people fairly and be sensible. And avoid expat circles. Learn the language and the culture. Get on with people.

I have been most successful when taking the diametrically opposite position to each of these pieces of sage advice.

The problem now in Bulgaria with both hookers and tradesmen is that with entry to the EU why would anyone with any competency still be in Bulgaria and not earning ten times the money in Berlin or London? I was down at my local strippy the other day and was paying the girls to not take their clothes off. I'm thinking of having a house built and shudder to think of the quality of the remaining 'maestori'. I am seriously considering bringing in British tradesmen, especially for the finishing and fittings. Although not British girls. Things are not yet that bad here.

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:34 pm

:lol:

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Hi
I pay anyone who comes to my place what they ask for, we have very good Bulgarian friends who recommend workers and discourage them from trying to take the pee.

The other day we had a plumber round to do a ten minute job and he charged me one small beer.

Cheers Fred.

Return to “Trades People”