learning to speak bulgarian

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

budyboy
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

learning to speak bulgarian

Postby budyboy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:41 am

hi. i am wonedring if any of you have learned to speak in bulgarian to a passable level and how long did it take.
i have listened to a few online lessons and it doesn't seem so bad. obviously i know this would be of great benefit in village life so am keen to try. thanks

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:50 am

In my second year in BG I was already at a reasonable level. Immersion is important. Listen, watch TV, talk to people, read newspapers etc.

It is easier if you have already done a foreign language at school.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:55 am

Friends of mine have done it but in 13 years I have to say mine is terrible. I can comprehend about 30% of what's being said if I understand the context but speaking I sound (apparently) like a villager from Ruse - and the cause of much hilarity. However, I can't say that this has been an impediment in Sofia, although I would guess life in the village would be easier. You get to comprehend all the nonsense Bulgarian villagers talk. One great advantage is not having to communicate with my in laws....

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

They are probably relieved that they do not have to talk to this deranged "Chuzhdenets".

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:29 pm

I quite like languages although Bulgarian is pretty difficult, I reckon after visiting on average 5 months each year for 12 years Im at about 40-50% not great but I speak to quite a few of my close contacts in Spanish

Im with Mat and quite often think its an advantage not to be able to speak too much sometimes and can definitely be played on

I quite enjoyed the early days when I didnt know any lingo at all or was able to read nothing........bliss

SatyamHair

Postby SatyamHair » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:13 pm

But why they can't gossip or chat... ???

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:55 am

Stomach is full, ass is dry, bills are paid, not considering much working here leave alone working with bulgarians...plus add a language with not much appeal and fairly complicated... Do not watch tv at all, and my bg culture exposure is monstly supermarkets leafleaflets. Result I won't speak bulgarian any soon. Better spend my energies on learning russian

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Bulgarian is a doddle in comparison to Russian. Grammar in Russian takes a lot of work.

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Yeah but a least it catches my attention and I seem to retain it in my brain more easily. Then a clean and defined system even if complicated is easier to learn than something completely messy....as japanese for instance.
Bulgarian sounds a bit like a beans pot boilining to my brain.
Or probably I'm just getting old and lazy.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Major Frank Thomson said that Bulgarian sounded like "Russian spoken by a Turk".

I will stick with my Bulgarian - no more foreign languages for my aging brain cells.

Return to “Trades People”