Internal wall plastering

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
alfandalma

Internal wall plastering

Postby alfandalma » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:30 am

Has anyone successfully re-plastered the white wash walls and ceilings by UK method of PVA then finishing plaster, instead of fitting Gypsum plasterboard?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:08 am

Depends what the whitewash is and whats underneath, it is generally varov rastvor a cement/lime render. you would need to key in any covering by making multiple indents with a chipping hammer or similar.

There are then gauzes and plasters, the best mainly austrian or german ................................and then you need to find a plasterer

gypscarton is not expensive and if you have an older property an opportunity to put some insulation in between, I have done this to preserve the outer appearance of a couple of properties.

The latest I am timber cladding up to 1 m from the floor forming a void behind the boarding for central heating pipes and electric cables,quite pleased with this idea

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
kevinb

Postby kevinb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:05 pm

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
alfandalma

Postby alfandalma » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:37 pm

Kevinb. The link doesn't work.

The walls seem to be a mixture of straw and mud. My reasons for not wanting to timber stud and plasterboard is that. 1/ the bricks and mortar are poor quality so getting a good fixing for the screws can take many attempts to find a good fixing for rawlplugs. This also worries me about fixing gauzes. 2/ the rooms are only 3.7 metre and although this method only reduces the size a little, every little bit counts when it comes to furnishing.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:44 pm

Sounds like adobe. In Bulgaria this was a common building material and is called "kerpitch". I was never quite sure what was the best way to approach maintenance with this material.

There are many old threads on the forum. Here is one

http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php?name=Forums &file=viewtopic&t=20971&highlight=kerpitch

You can find others by inputting

adobe

on the Search Function

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Nick1

Postby Nick1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:10 pm

alfandalma you could always dot and dab the boards to the walls,then plaster over the boards.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
alfandalma

Postby alfandalma » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:40 am

I did consider dob and dab with plasterboard adhesive after washing the surface to remove whitewash. It won't break the bank to try one bag of adhesive. The only place I have seen this for sale is in Practica,

Return to “Trades People”