Internal wall plastering

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

alfandalma

Internal wall plastering

Postby alfandalma » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:30 am

Has anyone successfully re-plastered the white wash walls and ceilings by UK method of PVA then finishing plaster, instead of fitting Gypsum plasterboard?

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:08 am

Depends what the whitewash is and whats underneath, it is generally varov rastvor a cement/lime render. you would need to key in any covering by making multiple indents with a chipping hammer or similar.

There are then gauzes and plasters, the best mainly austrian or german ................................and then you need to find a plasterer

gypscarton is not expensive and if you have an older property an opportunity to put some insulation in between, I have done this to preserve the outer appearance of a couple of properties.

The latest I am timber cladding up to 1 m from the floor forming a void behind the boarding for central heating pipes and electric cables,quite pleased with this idea

kevinb

Postby kevinb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:05 pm

This is what I did in walls and ceilings!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 711&type=3[/img]

alfandalma

Postby alfandalma » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:37 pm

Kevinb. The link doesn't work.

The walls seem to be a mixture of straw and mud. My reasons for not wanting to timber stud and plasterboard is that. 1/ the bricks and mortar are poor quality so getting a good fixing for the screws can take many attempts to find a good fixing for rawlplugs. This also worries me about fixing gauzes. 2/ the rooms are only 3.7 metre and although this method only reduces the size a little, every little bit counts when it comes to furnishing.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:44 pm

Sounds like adobe. In Bulgaria this was a common building material and is called "kerpitch". I was never quite sure what was the best way to approach maintenance with this material.

There are many old threads on the forum. Here is one

http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php?name=Forums &file=viewtopic&t=20971&highlight=kerpitch

You can find others by inputting

adobe

on the Search Function

Nick1

Postby Nick1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:10 pm

alfandalma you could always dot and dab the boards to the walls,then plaster over the boards.

alfandalma

Postby alfandalma » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:40 am

I did consider dob and dab with plasterboard adhesive after washing the surface to remove whitewash. It won't break the bank to try one bag of adhesive. The only place I have seen this for sale is in Practica,

Return to “Trades People”