Are there any builders in Bulgaria?

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

hillbilly
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Are there any builders in Bulgaria?

Postby hillbilly » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:52 pm

I need to find a builder for two houses:

1/ For a house near Asenovgrad I need a house demolished and some building work done on a summer kitchen

1/ Near Chirpan I need a kitchen fitted and some other interior work done.

I can't find any competent honest builder in either of these two places. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am getting seriously ticked off with the lack of tradesmen here.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:44 am

Competence and honesty ? Do you live there all the year round ? Trying to do it long-distance is a recipe for being ripped off.

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:33 am

On today builders market you have to also wait the long queue line to get rip off. Import one with a lie cost flight. Locals do what locals learnt to do... say yes, grab the money, do less possible, disappear...wash and repeat.

Do not pay anyone till you see the job done, source yourself materials.

paul-alice
Super User!
Super User!

Postby paul-alice » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:30 pm

Try to avoid Brit builders 80% are cowboys as i found out the hard way, there are some very good bulgarian ones out there which do quality work and good prices.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:30 pm

I would strongly advise bringing in outsiders as locals will size up your place and rob you, especially if these are houses you leave empty a lot of the time. Many builders are in other parts of the EU and its a nightare to get good people and then keep them on your site.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:57 pm

Someone must have put up all those buildings in Bulgaria,. They did not just appear. Nor were they constructed by Aliens from Alpha Centauri !

hillbilly
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby hillbilly » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:16 am

I've lived here for ten years and know the score. Was just asking if anyone had any ideas. Brits are the worst rip-off merchants but all builders, in my experience, are either useless or crooked. Your replies simply reinforce my prejudices!

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:42 pm

There was a website where you can post the job and receive quotes from builders....Unfortunately I can't remember the name.

Oops just came to my mind builder.bg...obviously post your job in bulgarian even if you are looking for english speaking builders.

hillbilly
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby hillbilly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks Mike, I'll try that site. I've lived in many countries but have never had so much trouble getting a decent builder, or indeed any builder!

alfandalma

Postby alfandalma » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:26 pm

I'm a British builder living near Dobrich so I can't help but if I was nearer I would charge 100 leva a day whereas local non skilled would charge 20 lev and take much longer and do a terrible unsafe job. I don't think my charge is a rip off as I supply all my own tools (flying over someone won't get tools over at a cheap price). I came here to retire having had my own building business in the UK where I charged £32 an hour. I can supply photographs of my work before and after. However there are many DIY expats who think they can be builders here as there is little control from building inspectors, in fact I have just left another Bulgarian site as I was fed up with giving correct advice and having a stupid woman who admits she learnt everything by watching tradesmen at work telling people how to do things in correctly and utterly unsafe.
Obviously there are good builders as most hotels are to a high standard except for the plumbing, I don't believe there is a single trained plumber in Bulgaria

Return to “Trades People”