Are there any builders in Bulgaria?

If you have bought property and need (or can recommend) reliable tradesmen of any profession please post here.

Moderator: Moderator

regfrancis

Postby regfrancis » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:42 am

Hmm..interesting. Im building a wooden houses near Primorsko. Never get any response from email enquirers to builders websites. The Architect who is from a well known family of Bourgas architects has been putting the plans through council. That has been an ordeal already with endless emails about his fees alone.

Enough to make one ditch the project before even talking to a builder.

Toped off by Russian owned telephone incumbent VIVATEL writing to say 'no possibilit'y of ADSL internet at the site, even though its only 100 meters from the main town of Primorsko

regfrancis

Postby regfrancis » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:18 am

For the past twelve years I've traveled around most country's and curious why the poorer ones have a lot of half finished buildings. The local persons answer is 'ran out of money'
This never rang true ..as some 50 floor buildings are among the half finished projects.These guys dont simply run out of money so easly.
Now I've started planing a building in Bulgaria I've found out the answer of the question first hand:
Owners dont 'run out of money'.... its running out of patience that leaves buildings unfinished in these places

This is how I came to the conclusion:
My Bulgarian architect presented him self as a gentle honest down to earth fellow from a trusted family of Burgas architects. He cleary quoted the price by email to design the house.
Preliminary planing was done and the first half of the price quoted was paid. Payment was made after careful email reconfirming of the total price quote. There were some suspicious delays in reconfirming the price and his claims ''that he would supply more details of procedures after payment was made'', but the architect pleaded for a further payment --so it was made as requested.
After payment was made the architect tells me that the amount paid was for other fees that were not mentioned before the payment was made.
No I feel cheated and lied to by the man who was employed to protect me from this.
If he was honest and told me what he wanted, I'm sure an arrangement could have been made... but instead- now I cant trust him. So the project will be shelved before even a shovel of earth is turned!

I'm a fast learner?

Nick1

Postby Nick1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:59 am

Its very frustrating in bulgaria regfrancis,the country is still full of lying and bent Architects,lawyers ect,who still try their best to rip you off any way they can.

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:24 am

regfrancis, these people face a low ammount of work request as they will be turned down by most bulgarians as too expensive or known to be untrustworthy. Only the few good ones are busy and with a waiting line of clients.
When they get a foreigner customer they belive they just won the lottery. They won't give up until extorted as much money as they can.

Unfortunately agreeing with them on price since the beginning is just like assuring you are going trough an excalation of rising prices. You agree because as foreigner you have few contacts and options. You should never chose on these premises. Look for more options!

If you can drop the architect, do it now.

Look for companies who sell ready projects. If you can find a project that suits you, then you can ask a quote for revision to adjust to your needs.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:42 am

regfrancis wrote:
I'm a fast learner?

No. A fast learner would understand that this is the Ottoman Empire and things are more Turkish than European. Your architect is merely reminding you that you don't have a lawyer. If you had a lawyer you would have made the payments through him and he would have ensured that the architect made no funny business. You assume that the architect is stitching you up - perhaps there really are other fees that needed covering or his English was not as good as you thought. Ultimately, do you want to have a house or not? If you want it, five years down the line this will be just one of many minor potholes on the road and in ten years an amusing after dinner anecdote. If you try and build a house remotely anywhere on the planet (apart from perhaps Germany) you're going to run into this.

Fly to Bulgaria, get a local lawyer, get the architect in a room and ensure everything is cleared up and all costs are explicitly detailed. Get it in writing in a contract.

Nick1

Postby Nick1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:23 am

Lawyers are just as likely to rob you here as architect,as i well know,so be very careful.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:45 am

People think they need an interpreter. In fact what is needed is a DRAGOMAN. If in doubt check with Wikipedia.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Nick1 wrote:Lawyers are just as likely to rob you here as architect,as i well know,so be very careful.

Everyone is going to rob you, come to peace with it.

regfrancis

Postby regfrancis » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:24 am

Attitudes simply keep Bulgarian prices and wages down. Maybe its the impulse to 'in your face' insult customers
The international hotel booking websites are an up to the minute indication of local attitudes. Customers openly comment on their Bulgarian experience.
I'm reading that prominent hotels in the area are repeatedly putting top paying guests in low grade back rooms when the prime rooms are all empty. Customers also comment on staff ignoring them.

Business owners say 'the comments on these sales websites make or break them'
This 'online reference' formula is rapidly working its way from hotel bookings to all other services.

No longer can business assume that foreigners (and locals) are disconnected and uninformed about their services.
Businesses who cling to the old fashioned idea of finding a new foreign customer to 'sting' every time-- appear to have their 'days numbered'

Its a buyers market- cash is 100 percent liquid and has infinite choices

Nick1

Postby Nick1 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:38 am

I came to peace with it after i took him to court and won mat :lol: :lol:

Return to “Trades People”