Looking for friends in Balchik

Travelling to Bulgaria on holiday or on a property inspection trip? Post travel dates and locations here and meet fellow My Bulgarian's on the way...or when you get there!

Moderator: Moderator

seanrogher

Looking for friends in Balchik

Postby seanrogher » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi I am Sean Rougher My wife Brid and I have built a villa in Balchik in 2004/7 (it took a long time) We usually drive to BG with our dog 'Ranger' from anytime in June until Aug/September We have been doing this since 2007 we are wondering if there are any Irish English Scotch people living in our area we would live to meet you. We live in (English Version) Sheep Park ' area near Silvia's Steak House We would love to hear from some people in our area however we will not be back in BG until 2012

marymo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby marymo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:17 pm

A bit away from Balchik ....about an hour but are always willing to drive. We are from Co Down....here permanently over 4 years but now going to be part timers....heading off soon and not due back until Spring. Interested in the route you take on your drive. We have driven several times... a couple of times through England...Hull and Dover.... but now we drive to Cherbourg and take the one ferry to Rosslare....suits us much better....and mileage ways not a lot of difference. Let us know when you are back next year and we,ll take a drive up your part of the country.

Biker
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Biker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi
We are an Irish Family also from county Down (coincidently).

We have a Villa in Balchik since 2006. we are near the Paris Hotel.
The Villa entrance on the left just before the Paris as you head into Balchik.

Again we are part timers and the boys ( husband and some work colleagues or relatives) usually visit in the spring to get some things done. while rest of us usually visit during school summer holidays. The boys sometimes visit again in September.
We are in our 40.s early 50s with two children one is 15 and the other is 20. The 20 year old rarely visits now.!

We would love to meet and get to know you.
The boys will most likely be back in the spring. So something could be arranged we are quite close really. There are quite a few English around Balchik that we know of.

Marymo would also love to meet you . I think perhaps our location in Ireland may be closer than that of Varna area. I recall that your husband mentioned to us on the forum, before that you are from Downpatrick and we are near kilkeel (Attical).
We would also be very interested in your advice and experience on driving over, as we would like to do that sometime soon too.
Weather here very very wet at the moment, with torrential rain at times. Imagine Varna area must be much nicer at the moment.

Regards to you both.

owenyh
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby owenyh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:23 pm

hi sean we have a house nearby in gurkovo so will email you just before we go out in 2012 cheers

seanrogher

Postby seanrogher » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies
We are in our late 50's and have two adult children Niall 36 and Shauna 34 who now lives in Australia she is Married to Mark who is Scottish they live in Brisbane.

We usually drive to Rosslare take the ferry to Fish guard drive up through England take the Channel tunnel to Calais We find that using this route we avoid Paris and a good deal of France where there are a lot of tolls We usually drive to Frankfort then to Segre b In Croatia then we usually drive from Zagreb in one journey through Serbia through to Sofia and then the last leg from Sofia to Varna and then to Balchik It is the longest section of the journey and takes sometimes, depending on the traffic in Belgrade,it will take 15//17 hours.
The journey takes three days minimum but it depends on the time of day we arrive in France.
We have traveled through Hungry and Romania but the Romanian Mountains through Transylvania are to bee avoided if you can especially if you are driving a RHD Vehicle, which we did for three years it can be quite scarey to have a large Turkish lorry very close to you as you try to negotiate the winding roads of Romania
Going back takes longer as we need to visit a vet in Calais to comply with the requirements of 'Pet Travel' We purchased a LHD estate two years ago and it definitely makes the driving easier but as you know the Bulgarian drivers are very much in your face and it is prudent to give way at all times

So again thanks for all the replies we can be contacted by email at john.horan@classic.ie or Eire mobile 00-353872544130

Bye for now

marymo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby marymo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:54 pm

Biker
Tiarnan ...when not here...heads up to Attical for the football....our son-in-law plays for Kilclief...he is delighted we will be home next week for the Intermediate Championship final. Yea, be great to meet. Weather has been fantastic since we came back at start of September. Best September since we came.

Seanrogher
we have driven thru Paris both early in morning....about 10am.....and at lunchtime...we found it ok. Also have skirted round Paris...Rouen via Amiens....just like the idea of one ferry....and as we always stop at night we,d have to spend a night coming back in England...or in Calais...the ferry from Cherbourg is 18 hours of relaxation....and a cabin to sleep in. You are right about the extensive tolls in France but we prefer that route....tho will not rule out through England in the future.

seanrogher

Postby seanrogher » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks for reply Biker,
I forgot to mention our dog is a diabetic, and as a result has many problems, he is blind, a real Irish joke ,( an Irish man with a black Labrador but the dog is blind) However he drinks a lot of water, and as he has never done anything in any house, when we go to feed him on the ferry he thinks he is in a house and refuses to go to the 'toilet' as the journey to Rosslare is 17/18 hours hew would be very uncomfortable so this one additional reason that we choose the England route but I agree that a cabin and a good rest after a long drive through Europe is very welcome
Looking forward to our next trip to BG.

Unimak

Postby Unimak » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:16 am

Hi All,
First time poster for me, but was delighted to find so many Irish neighbors and don't want to be left out of the fun. Tanya and I have been living just up the side road (more of a gully really) from the Paris Hotel since this past summer. Still fixing up the house, but have had a great time this year at the beach. Will be back next May for coupla weeks, and August with our 2 boyz, ages 12 and 14. All the girls have grown up, but like to visit. Was able to bring a 420 dinghy down from Holland this year, perhaps there'll be some sailing activity to share with your kids next year. Not much Irish left in me though, sorry to say. Ancestors left Armagh quite a while back, and I'm actually a Dutch national for the most part now. But if you all hum a few bars of an old Paddy song, I should be able pick it up again. :lol: Kids would be all new to that though. Cell number is: +359878949159
Regards,
Jeff

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi seanrogher

We are always up for meeting new people when we are in Bulgaria but we are only around at holiday times, average about four weeks in two lumps at the beginning and end of the summer.

We often have a little party at our place for ex-pats and our Bulgarian friends, I will put you on the invite list for the next one.

We know our bit of coast very well now,Shabla area, and love to show folk around up there. At first sight it doesn't look much but believe me it is a beautiful part of the world.

We have made a lot of good friends through these forums and I am sure you will too.

Keep in touch and maybe we will see you next summer.

Cheers Fred.

corker
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Re: Looking for friends in Balchik

Postby corker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:01 pm

I am originally from Cork, now living in London for years. We have a place in Balchik since 2004. We manage to get out to Bakchik once or twice each summer. We are back out there this summer 15th-24th August and more than happy to meet up.

Return to “Meet and Greet!”