Street Without a Name - by Kapka Kassabova

If you have had first hand experience of a supplier of any goods or services (NOT REAL ESTATE AGENTS) and wish to sing their praises please do so here, explaining why you would recommend them to others.

Moderator: Moderator

kempa
Super User!
Super User!

Street Without a Name - by Kapka Kassabova

Postby kempa » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:00 am

Has anyone read this wonderful book? It is rare to find any books about Bulgaria and I have come to it late - it was published in 2008 - but it illuminates what life was like under the communists and also post communism. I would have thought it would be required reading for anyone with a modicum of interest in Bulgaria. Beautifully written with humour and honesty. Brilliant.
Cheers
Kempa

lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:36 am

I second that, Kempa. It should be a compulsory read for all newcomers to Bulgaria!

Keegan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Keegan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi Kempa, where did you get it from, it sounds a good read. Im over next week for 8 weeks so you wouldnt be able to let me have a loan of it via Tracy??? T will guarantee that I take good care of them. Hope youre well.

SooToo

Postby SooToo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:26 pm

That looks very interesting...I've checked Amazon who have it in stock and they also suggest the following 2 books which are also about Bulgaria - living through and the end of Communism

Cold Snap by Cynthia Morrison Phoel
Dreams and Shadows by Radka Yakimov

I'm going to see if I can get Mr Slaps to get these for my birthday :D

kempa
Super User!
Super User!

Postby kempa » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:43 pm

I'm seeing Tracy next Tuesday and will give her the book to loan you! You'll enjoy it I'm sure.
Cheers
Kempa

booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:34 pm

I have a copy for sale in good condition. Private message me if you are interested. 25 lev including postage anywhere. Be quick if you don't want to miss out

:)

Keegan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Keegan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks a bunch Kempa, no doubt will see you sometime.

Kath

Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Agree its a great book as an intro to modern Bulgaria. Also try "Under the Yoke", which as well as being the classic story of the liberation period is also a good read if you like C19th novels.

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:22 am

If only I had a bit more time to read , But these computeri things grab my attention ; still I'll stick them on my winter list . Tim .

stew

Postby stew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:17 am

Just ordered the book this weekend through Amazon. Used copy good condition £1.00 for book £2.99 p&p. Around 7-8lev Bargain.

Thanks for recommendation.

Return to “Recommendations & Testimonials”