Street Without a Name - by Kapka Kassabova

If you have had first hand experience of a supplier of any goods or services (NOT REAL ESTATE AGENTS) and wish to sing their praises please do so here, explaining why you would recommend them to others.

Moderator: Moderator

OldHolborn

Postby OldHolborn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Copy arrived yesterday, finished today

Stunning.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Interesting reactions :)

I read the book some 3 years back and enjoyed it; my wife read it after me and felt it was a load of tosh from someone who'd been out of the country for a lot of her life and had a child's appreciation of what had been going on around her, coloured by her experiences abroad and then "tarted up" for largely-foreign consumption.

I guess I can see her point of view - many Bulgarians of "a certain age" still feel that their formative years were blighted by Communist "education" and what should have subsequently been the best part of their lives was ruined by the death throes of the system and the turmoil which followed. I often think of it when I hear people whinging about their Yuman Right to be too fat to work, and to vomit and fight in the streets after a heavy week of doing Sweet FA.... :twisted:

lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:32 pm

Seedy, your wife is probably right. I enjoyed it as a 'starter' book but I have since heard many far more interesting and horrifying stories from people the same age as Kapka - and even worse from people older. There were little things like the scene where her mother cries in the toilets in Holland and when they go to Bansko in the 80's and can't buy so much as a potato, that are so different from we experienced when we were growing up. Having been to Russia in the early 80's I have been to GUM stores so understand that concept. It was interesting to read that the population didn't resent them, they accepted it as it was all they knew. Many of the older generation unfortunately would have have remembered things differently.

Many of our younger friends locally would have been through the same experiences as Kapka. I can't imagine some of them as young 'pioneers!' :lol:

OldHolborn

Postby OldHolborn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:01 am

The principle reason for me moving to Bulgaria is that they experienced complete totalitarianism and will not be going anywhere near it again in the future. People do not trust the state, resent politicians and simply wish to be left alone to live their lives - unlike what the UK/Europe has become, a batch of frogs slowly being boiled with no complaint.

Return to “Recommendations & Testimonials”