live country and western at Borovets bar nr VARNA

The My Bulgaria/BGAid registered charity is now closed however this forum remains open for any announcements, news, updates and questions on other charitable initiatives and causes.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Chef-Yanko

Postby Chef-Yanko » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Reply to Moscow_Wolf,. It is commendable that you have taken on these needy animals, I suggest you get into the spirit of things and help Joss, if you were to be more pro active like Joss, instead of being so critical and negative and mooning about charities and the costs for the upkeep of the animals that you look after, which was your decision, I am sure you would be a happy Wolf. The BSAPP link is http://www.freewebs.com/bsapp/ . I have known Joss for 5 years and she is always spending her money on feeding these poor animals which I have contributed to in a small way. Do not complain when it was you decision to look after the animals you have, it should be from the heart and you should be happy that there are people like Joss who are prepared to give up their time and money to look after these poor creatures.

Can we now get back to advertising the event rather than picking holes in each others' motives and actions please! Any further discussion away from promoting the event and / or enquiries in general about it should be voiced via PM only (and if placed here will be deleted.)
Thanks. Mod
8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Just a reminder about this event. It looks as though the weather is on our side which is a relief as we'll be outside and a downpour would be inconvenient.

Joss

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Joss wrote:http://www.freewebs.com/bsapp/ They have been doing great work for many years.

Thanks lyn and norman for the support

Moscow-wolf - I understand why people are wary of giving money if they don't know where it's going, but your level of cynicism is beyond belief. I feed the dogs, frontline them and would like to spay them if I had the money, but sadly I don't.

I have taken in 8 street dogs and 3 cats over the years that I've lived here, and paid for all their food and medical treatment myself, and I know many others have done the same. If you don't want to pay for the animals you've adopted, maybe you should have left them on the street? I'm just trying to raise some money to help the dogs I can't bring home, although the majority of the money will go to BSAPP. Everyone else has been very supportive(the ones who know me and what I do). Hopefully they will be the ones who come to support the event because they are the people I like to see.

On the sale day there will be collection boxes for BSAPP and the local dogs, people can give to either or none, as they choose.

Hi Joss, you do not have to justify yourself to me, but on the other hand, you might agree somewhat as to why folk are cynical here in Bulgaria about any form of financial assistance.

Perhaps, my post did not come across anywhere near the way it should have done and like yourself, I find it difficult to ignore dogs in need, but what I cannot work out is whether I try to help to make myself feel a better person at the end of the day or, whether not being able to do enough, will make me feel worse. There is a lot of conscious clearing done on this very forum about requesting help for this or that dog, cat and starving kid.

Norman says that I completely missed the point, but I don't think I did, I just didn't put it across correctly. I too carry dog biscuits (when I remember) and have stopped on occasions to feed hungry dogs, but what am I achieving here - you tell me as a few biscuits are not going to change the situation and perhaps can only prolong the overall suffering of a dog. I know only too well that you cannot take them all home.

What happens if you can't make it to the roadside rendezvous for a couple of weeks through illness or holidays..... yes, I know, loads of negatives, but again, what I am getting at is, is there not a better way to focus our charity and effort into the street dog, stray and neutering problem in Bulgaria.

So, my intention was not to deliberately offend, but I still find it difficult to accept that selling a few second-hand books is going to do much for the street dogs, but there again, that is ONLY MY opinion and I wish you the best of British luck in your venture.

I cannot be any fairer than that without selling myself out to my own opinions and beliefs, but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:38 pm

No offence taken MW

Whatever I do or do not achieve for the local street dogs, I would hope to raise some money for BSAPP, who do excellent work. I've no doubt we'll have a good afternoon out anyway :D and I know that the usual suspects who are likely to turn up will be generous with their donations. Whether or not we are achieving anything in the long run is open to debate, but I feel I have to try. Perhaps that's a discussion we should have via PM, as I have a lot to say on the subject but this is not not really the place for it.

There will always be people who take advantage of others' good nature and scam them, that's a sad fact of life. But I don't think that should stop decent people helping where they can, with discretion.

That said, are you coming to the sale? I might even buy you a beer if you behave :drinkers:

joss

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Many thanks to all of you who turned up to support this event today. It was a good turn out, we raised 135 leva for the dogs, and a good time appeared to be had by all. Everyone was very generous and nobody moaned about how hard the pop quiz was. Strangely, no one seems to have taken advantage of lyn's offer of an advance view of the answers in return for cash. Sorry lyn, better luck next time.

Jean was the star of the show. Despite being sober, she managed to break two glasses and a bottle, have a blow out in her burger which ruined her outfit, spill some repulsive green drink all over the shop and let Bonzo steal her burger, thereby getting poor Bonzo banned from the bar for all time. There's always one, isn't there? I can safely say this because as far as I know she's not a member on here :D and anyway she's an amenable sort of cove who is easily sweet talked.

That said, my house still looks like a bookshop - does anyone want to buy a job lot before i have to move into the garage?

Joss

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Glad all went well there Joss! Maybe tonight you can have a wee tipple and relax the night away.... :D :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:35 pm

A wee tipple? A very large tipple methinks. It was good fun though, and nice to see some old and new faces. But I think next time I'll do it on a cooler day - it was too much for me today.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:06 pm

Would anyone be interested in a book sale and English chippy type food? Cod and chips, pie and chips etc. Again at Borovets bar. I'd be grateful for your comments as I don't want to be slaving over a hot stove if no one wants to come...

Maybe this Saturday if anyone's interested. Please let me know.

Joss

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MarkMc
<b>Language Tutor</b>

Postby MarkMc » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:21 pm

Sounds great and this weekend would be perfect for us. Please let us know if you decide to go ahead with it and we'll be there :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Joss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Joss » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi MarkMc

Many thanks for your reply but as you seem to be the only ones interested I think we'll skip it this week.

Joss

Return to “Charitable Work, News and Updates”