driving licences

The My Bulgaria/BGAid registered charity is now closed however this forum remains open for any announcements, news, updates and questions on other charitable initiatives and causes.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Nick1

driving licences

Postby Nick1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:14 pm

How hard is it to change your english driving licence for a bulgarian one, because the past two times I have been pulled up by the police, both have asked why I am still driving on an english licence, and have told them both, I would happily change my licence if they didn't make things so hard in this country. People have said that it is hard, just wondered if anyone has actually done it here.

Cheers Nick

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Pretty sure there's a thread on this here Nick so no doubt the MODS will move your post and mine, or redirect us to repost! However, I know at least one person who has exchanged (Diabetic, living here, no UK Doctor so had to when his UK licence was about to expire).
Time consuming and boring but not actually difficult.
However; EU legislation says you don't have to change until the licence is due for renewal. Coppers here may try to claim otherwise.....as they did in Spain in the past. Unless the law has changed recently they're wrong.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
geocyd

Postby geocyd » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:07 pm

It is an offence to drive on a driving license with an incorrect address and can be fined up to 1000 pounds..... This is what the DVLA say on their web site .....Keeping your details correct

Telling DVLA your details have changed will ensure your record is up to date and all future driving licence reminders are sent to your correct address.

Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence.
Hope that helps :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
croxleydog
Super User!
Super User!

driving licences

Postby croxleydog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Its very simple as long as you dont want other catagories other than your car and motor bike cover.Get a medical certificate from a local doctor.Go to KAT and get the form and fill it in.Then you have to pay i think i paid 17 lev to the bank at Kat.If you dont have a photo ID you will have to pay a bit more for that and then about 2 weeks later you present your talon and hand over your UK jobbie.Quite painless,but they do sometimes question why you are prepared to give up your 44 ton artic catagorie but in my case i wont be needing that again thats for sure.
I replaced mine as my photo had expired,and a photocopy i was told was not acceptable even when notarised according to my friend the chief at Kat VT.
Regards,
Mike

Return to “Charitable Work, News and Updates”