Street dogs - complain at cruelty via email

The My Bulgaria/BGAid registered charity is now closed however this forum remains open for any announcements, news, updates and questions on other charitable initiatives and causes.

Moderator: Moderator

Gazza

Postby Gazza » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Most, if not all, UK charities that take in stray dogs will never put a healthy animal down so please lets get our facts right. Feeding strays is not cruel but creating strays is. This is like saying feeding starving people is cruel. i was also brought up in the country and have no problem with eating animals if people choose to do so (providing there are humane checks in place), even though I do not myself but please stop bringing this down to British superiority.

ALL, every single one including Spain, France, Germany, Italy and so on European countries have laws against animal cruelty and rightly so since a society is judged by how it treats those least able to look after themselves. I apologise to everyone else as I do not want to keep jumping in but rubbish like this make my blood boil

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:13 am

An emotive issue always and the unnecessary torture and violence in the website should be condemned in the strongest way. However, Battersea Dog's Home's own figures show they euthanise almost as many healthy dogs as they re-home but that is due to the British penchant for raising fighting type breeds and then dumping the excess. In a sense this is the crux of the Bulgarian problem - uncontrolled breeding within the 'owned' population of pet dogs creating a constant stream of puppies into the street dog population. I know of only one person (apart from myself) with a castrated male dog, and he's a Brit. Every male dog we meet in the park is intact and I assume every female also. They don't watch TV when the sun goes down....

I seem to recall some ordinance in the past year or so that said if you started to feed street dogs (at least in Sofia) you were deemed responsible for them. Not a bad idea. At least in the short term street dogs will be a feature of the landscape and if you kill one it will be replaced in short order by a new dog taking over the territory. Surely better to have a well fed, castrated and essentially trained street dog than an aggressive new-comer unused to people? Most areas of the centre seem to have docile 'local' dogs, getting increasingly frail but posing no risk to the populace at large.

guitarman

Postby guitarman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:16 am

[quote="banjo"]

I was born in the sticks and look upon animals in a different light you either eat them or work them but never be cruel to any animal.........."but it's ok to let them die of starvation...." Nice.

pollypepper

Street dogs - complain at cruelty via email

Postby pollypepper » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:33 am

My Daughter has just gone through the process of adopting a dog.Her animal shelter Tamworth in the UK,told her they get most of their dogs from Ireland, as there now is more people willing to Adopt than strays in Tamworth.Good one Tamworth
So some thing must be working in that area.
After assessment most dogs what can be re-homed are re=homed.They never put any dog down

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:01 am

As Mat says the Uk is not beyond reproach when it comes to dog euthenasia. Last year alone the RSPCA "killed" 5633 dogs, the majority of which were healthy but a home could not be found in the short "condemned" timescale the RSPCA put on them (Mainly Bully Breeds).

The US holds an even more shameful record of around 6 MILLION a year, 500 dogs & cats are KILLED each HOUR in Nashville TN alone.

On the subject of "No Kill" shelters, one has to be quite wary of their claims (And I am not tarnishing all with this brush). But a recent survey in the US found that out of 200 "no kill" shelters 90% of them gave many of their dogs that could not be rehomed long term to shelters that have a kill policy.....I'll leave the rest to you

My wife in the last year has helped rehome hundreds of BG dogs into new homes in other countries. I see the emotional strain on her and I ask myself is it worth it, but she continues. Anyone involved in doing this in BG is an angel in my books, and has the strength of an ox.

TNR & Education are the way to go, it has been scientifically proved in numerous countries and even the EU, for all their crap, agree it is the best solution.

As for breeders being the main problem. The figures in the UK speak for themselves. There are literally tens of thousands of Bully breed dogs in uk shelters in the Uk. As there are virtually no street dogs in the Uk then these must have come from owners for some reason or other. Yes some will have come from woops litters, but the vast majority originated from registered breeders and back street breeders to fuel owners who end up dumping them on shelters.

Whereas in BG most dogs in shelters come from the street (and owners). But, anyone dealing in these shelters will tell you, there are more and more "breeder" dogs appearing in the shelters, abandoned by their owners.

Stop the puppy farms, Stop the breeders, TNR every dog, and the problem will resolve itself within a generation or two.

I look forward to the day when dogs microchips are checked at shelters and the initail breeder responsible is fined heavily

Edited to add short tale: In Wales last year the RSPCA were called to a house where the owner died and had 10 German Shepherds. They turned up with a captive bolt gun and killed all 10. Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals....NOT

jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:26 am

banjo wrote:Yes there is a lot of stray dogs in BG and cruelty does exist but it will not change by emailing anyone..........................
8) 8) 8)

there was another bit to this quote from banjo about not feeding them as it created more strays. .. hmm debatable - guess if you thinking of feeding them you should be thinking of looking after them too - no point ticking a box that has wonky edges ... harsh I know and probably produce a barrage of indignant replies here .....

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:32 am

Just been to st constantine & elana my local small shop to buy bread outside all cuddled together are about 20/30 cats and yes they are waiting to be fed but there was one in agony as its bottom jaw had been ripped away either in a fight or run over. There is also not far away a dogs den with about 6/7 strays and when they see people they follow them thinking they will be fed.

This is indeed a big problem in BG but we do not need to be educated by brits

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THESE ANIMALS YOU ARE ONLY CREATING MORE OF THE SAME.
Varna man 8) 8) 8)

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:53 am

banjo wrote:This is indeed a big problem in BG but we do not need to be educated by brits

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THESE ANIMALS YOU ARE ONLY CREATING MORE OF THE SAME.

Someone needs to be educated as its fairly obvious that the situation has not changed in the last 8 years that I have known. If the situation has not changed one bit then surely it goes without saying that the people who are in charge of the situation don't actually know what the feck they are doing, apart from culling them.

As for DO NOT FEED THEM, it would be appreciated if you learn a bit more about the problems and solutions and stop coming out with this Neanderthal crap !

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:14 pm

This problem is deep seated and will not be sorted by either money or throwing scraps of food to a starving stray Dog or Cat. I am sure that everyones heart is in the right place but you are not curing the problem.

8) 8) 8)

Varna man

Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:30 pm

banjo wrote:This problem is deep seated and will not be sorted by either money or throwing scraps of food to a starving stray Dog or Cat. I am sure that everyones heart is in the right place but you are not curing the problem.

8) 8) 8)

Varna man

Please enlighten me - what can we do to cure the problem then?

Return to “Charitable Work, News and Updates”