Bulgarian Society For Animal Protection and Preservation

The My Bulgaria/BGAid registered charity is now closed however this forum remains open for any announcements, news, updates and questions on other charitable initiatives and causes.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mike4727
<b>Property Management</b>

Postby mike4727 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Brian,

well done on the rehoming - fabulous news, and thanks for the tip on walnuts, they are off the treaty menu from now on ! He will just have to make do with the occasional bit of ham or cheese :D

Mike

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
susiebes

Postby susiebes » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:15 pm

Oh yes.....name and shame these evil misfits :twisted: I hope the authorities in the UK get to know about this and can prosecute.
Pleased that the dogs are now re-homed, hope the cats and chinchilla also find a loving home.
susana :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:50 pm

brianj42 wrote:PS: Mike, watch out on the walnuts, they can be poisonous for dogs

Could you please supply more details on this as my rescue is always cracking open the walnuts and eating them. In fact all windfall fruits seem to form part of her diet. I haven't noticed anything detrimental from the walnuts and I'd have a job trying to stop her with the two trees at each end of my property.

I guess a MOD might suggest that this is off thread, but it is important if my dog is poisoning herself.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi Moscow

When dogs eat the seed hulls, they can get an upset stomach and diarrhea. The real problem is the fungus or mold that attacks walnuts after they get wet (from rain or sprinklers), which produces toxins. If the fungus or mold is ingested by your dogs, they can become very ill and possibly die. Long Term they have a high phosporus content which may lead to kidney stones.

Unfortunately I have the same problem, A HUGE walnut tree in the garden and 7 dogs. When the nuts start falling in the second week September its a constant battle to beat the dogs to the nuts :D But still they find them.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 pm

The question has now been answered so back on to the topic please.
Mod 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:21 am

Brianj42,

I just read your story on the post about this couple abandoning their pets and it is sickening to say the least. Disposable pets seem to be the in thing in Bulgaria and many a Brit we have met have said they would not take the pets back to UK if a crisis happened....Yet they are happy to keep collecting them! But the chances of adoption are slim and how do you know this won't happen repeatedly to the poor animals. Getting a good home for abandoned pets is so difficult at the best of times.

I can't understand the mentality, as we brought our 3 cats and our dog over at great expense and all had blood tests done and boosters (as well as the 2 new dog additions to our family) kept up to date just in case. You never know what can happen and you have to return to UK. And we do see our animals as our family, I mean, would you leave your kids locked in with no food and water and abandon them in the hope they would just slip away and no longer be a nuisance?

I hope you can get them investigated and someone must know them.

Vicky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:40 am

Here's a good one for you, and any advice would be welcome. It does involve BSAPP so I am on subject.

I got a phone call yesterday from an English couple here on holiday in Bansko. They are staying at the plush 5* Katarino resort. They came across a beautiful stray dog at the hotel and fell in love with it. So much so, they are willing to do whatever it takes to get it back to the UK. So I hop in the Jeep after being let down by their tour guide who said he would organise and didn't, and went to meet them.

The dog is a beautiful cross Husky, and the couple are so suited to this dog. I have booked the local vet to give it a passport, microchip and inoculations. It will then be transported to BSAPP Sofia where it has a foster home for 6 months to go through the neccessary quarentine. BSAPP will then organise the transport to the UK.

Just as we are about to take it, the doorman comes out. The same doorman who the day before had said it was a stray dog and the hotel did not care what happened to it.

When we told him it was going to the UK, it was suddenly HIS dog and he wants €200 otherwise we cannot take it.

Now what ?

Unless there are any other suggestions of diplomacy, I do intend to go back under the cover of darkness and dognap it.

The money isn't the issue, its the principal.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:08 am

You could ask him for evidence that he is registered as the owner. The dog should have a medallion to confirm that.

http://bansko.bg/content/view/1334/1/lang,bg/

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:20 am

brianj42 wrote:Unless there are any other suggestions of diplomacy, I do intend to go back under the cover of darkness and dognap it.

The money isn't the issue, its the principal.

I'd go for the dog-knapping myself, but is the dog fed, healthy looking? If not, then you could 'threaten' said person with some non-existent authorities that he will be held responsible for that animal's welfare etc. But, to avoid all of that hassle, just take it and I hope it don't bite the hand that feeds it.

Who's idea was it to say it was going to the UK in the first place - not the wisest of statements! :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Gimlet

I think that he is non-negociable with an "I'm always right" attitude.....you know the one. I think I'm going to go down the dog-knapping route, at least it will be fun :D

Watch this space

Return to “Charitable Work, News and Updates”