What happens to an unoccupied house?

You now have a property and need someone to look after it whilst you are away or renting it? This is the place to look and post!

Moderator: Moderator

AJ113
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby AJ113 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:19 am

Juloubeth, I am no expert, just a simple BG property owner doing his best to protect his investment! My dehum is from Technopolis, all large electrical places have them. Mine burns 300 watts, and as such it emits a small amount of heat as well as dehumidifying, which helps towards the general drying-out aspect of the operation.

I have used the dehum extensively during the course of this year, and I can confirm that it really does make a difference. However, this will be my first winter with it switched on permanently on max, so I can't speak exactly from experience.

It's probably a case of horses for courses. The dehum is obviously more effective in the area where it is stood, so it may well be more effective being moved from room to room occasionally. Conversely I am sure that there are properties where leaving the dehum in the same spot all the time will suffice.

banner
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banner » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:30 am

Hi. I am also no expert. We took ours over from England, but now I know technopolis has them thats good, we need two more eventually for other houses. The shop will tell you what area it will cover, but I can tell you it's amazing how much water it collects !!!!! Cheers Banner.

hrisvas

dehum

Postby hrisvas » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:23 am

speaking of dehumidifiers....shouldn't there also be non-electric ones? not that I've seen them in BG but I've seen them in Europe, so I bet they sell them in the UK...
it looks like a small sack/bag (made of textile almost the same as the one they use for pantyhoses) filled with some material, and you place them hanging over a plastic container...so the principle is that they absorb the humidity, and when it condenses, the water drips into the container....they are very cheap, and you can put them in all rooms...no electricity, and no need to change the container
There must be something like that in the UK...and they are much easier to transport...But if anybody has seen them in Mr. Bricolage/praktiker in BG, could you please let the rest of us know?

Villyman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Villyman » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:37 am

I think you are talking about condensation packs and they sell them in the UK in all caravan accessory shops and the like. I have seen them in use in caravans left over the winter when the packs are left on window sills. They seem to work in small places but I don't know if they would be much good for a house. :?:

GarryN
Super User!
Super User!

Postby GarryN » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:38 am

You may be thinking of Silica Gel while is often included with electronic equipment when shipped. I was also used in small dishes between the panels of secondary double glazing when that became popular.

Yes it removes moisture from the air but once it becomes saturated it stops working and needs heating to 150º C to reactivate it and dry it.

Garry

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:49 am

Whatever happened to good old fashioned air bricks?

hrisvas

Postby hrisvas » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:00 am

well, i've seen some of these sacks/bags advertised for summerhouses, basements and stuff like that...i guess they do cover a smaller area- but maybe you could put more than one in a room? otherwise, the problem with the electric dehumidifiers (at least the ones with containers- i don't know, maybe there are some that work like air-con) is that you need to go empty the container, or otherwise it will stop working...

anyway, once again- if you see them in BG, let me know where they sell them

GarryN
Super User!
Super User!

Postby GarryN » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:02 am

Slaphead wrote:Whatever happened to good old fashioned air bricks?

Coupled with an extractor fan at the other end of the house air bricks should suffice. With older properties the problem is likely to be lack of dampcourse and/or soil in contact with the walls above ground level. I assume that injection damp courses are available in BG?

Garry
Last edited by GarryN on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Labora
<b> Pool Supplier/Installer </b>

Postby Labora » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:04 am

Villyman wrote:I think you are talking about condensation packs and they sell them in the UK in all caravan accessory shops and the like. I have seen them in use in caravans left over the winter when the packs are left on window sills. They seem to work in small places but I don't know if they would be much good for a house. :?:

I think they are called "Humidry", they are cartridges above a rectangular dish, absorbing moisture which collects in the dish below. Our Project Manager got some from Praktiker for our basement, cost 10-12leva upwards and last about three months before you change them. How accurate this is I havent a clue but they seem to be working when I looked at them last month, they had collected a fair bit of water.

Neil

starby
<b> Pool Supplier/Installer </b>

Postby starby » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:48 am

Hi GarryN

Not quite sure what method of damp proofing they have used on ours. We are having a renovation done at the moment. Our builder took plenty of time explaining that in the village houses that damp was a big problem. We decided to have the dampcourse done as it was pointless having it all renovated and going back to find mould and whatever.
The house isn't due to be finished until November, so when we are over in a couple of weeks I shall make sure that we get the dehumidifiers.
We have also used several of the other things that people have mentioned. One of our houses had Crittal windows and we used to put the boxes on the window sills. It did help.
Hopefully it won't be too long before we don't have to worry about these things as we will be able to air the place when we want. [-o<

Return to “Property Management”