What happens to an unoccupied house?

You now have a property and need someone to look after it whilst you are away or renting it? This is the place to look and post!

Moderator: Moderator

thorney

Postby thorney » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:57 pm

What happens to an unoccupied house?

It attracts 3 types of vermin

Mice/Rats
Cockroaches
Burglars

don't forget polecats - the damage they can do and the mess they leave behind (when you eventually get rid of them) from rotting food etc

rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

Postby rgawith » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:30 am

bigbulg wrote:Get yourself a COT" sticker and place it in the front door, no-one will touch it.

How do you get yourself a COT sticker without getting the whole COT package? And if you do will you not get in trouble with COT for having it without paying for their services? Been wondering if this would be an option for a while.

Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: What happens to an unoccupied house?

Postby Hoowster » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:58 am

Anisoara wrote:Not even considering break-ins for the moment....

What happens say in the summer with all the doors and windows closed, while outside it is hot and humid. Does yucky stuff grow on the walls?

How tall can the vegetation grow in your garden?

What horrors might you expect when returning to your house after a, say, eight or nine-month absence?

2006 Lordy......The BG property summit Year?

Just to say please dont leave you house too long especially if you have an old roof.....You may just find it in the next door plot or your living room after some of the high winds and driving rain we get here.

:roll:

BPFSTransport

Sound Advice

Postby BPFSTransport » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:04 am

mansell wrote:Hello

So you have met your neighbours and they have given you some cucumbers then you have had a drink with them at the local. oh what loverly people i must get them to look after my house and give them money to pay my bills, now you dont speak there language and they your so you think you have an agreement and give them some keys to be on the safe side so on and so on. A couple did this in a village near us and after they left the whole family moved in use there elec water tv etc etc maybe wreck the house what a suprice when you are over again. If you met a stanger in the uk while at your holiday home would you be so stupid as to give them money to pay bills and look after your house NO so why risk it here

Mansell

I agree with Mansel, too many people seem to throw caution to the wind when they come to Bulgaria and take risks which they would never dream of taking while in the UK. The same rules should apply here as in the UK. A few clients of ours have been "caught out" in the same way and it's heart breaking to see the results.

Phil & Isha

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:07 pm

shebry wrote:
Village Security

On my last visit to our villa, I was informed that the next door neighbour saw three gipsies climbing over our 6ft high wall to enter the garden. The neighbour quickly phoned our villa manager who lives just 400mtrs away
He was there in a flash and caught them red handed, pointed the gun at them and fired gas which made the intruders very uncomfortable, gasping for breath with runny nose and eyes.
I hope that sends out a message to all would be intruders to stay away
and a big thank you must go to our neighbour and the community spirit
Long may it last

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:30 pm

Well I haven't spent much time at my place over the last couple of months , and was shocked on a brief visit back in July to find how much of a jungle the garden had become , and spent most of the time trying to get back under a modicum of control . Today I'd planned to have another go at it , but , having finally rediscovered my vacuum under a morass of cobwebs , I found out that I have a rat in my kitchen and a wasps nest in my shower , a cellar full of fruit flies and a garden teeming with fleas ; the only saving grace being that the ants that were eating my stairs seem to have gone , although I can't help wondering Where ? Oh , the joys of living in the countryside ! Tim .

fishing-man

Postby fishing-man » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:28 pm

I went back to the Uk for 6 months a few years ago i put huge pots in all rooms filled them with salt A kg bag in each and that will evaporate some damp on my return after a winter i had not one bit of damp. Also i had COT installed and never had any problems. Have bought a dehumidifier now also but the salt is very effective even when your here put a bowl in every room through the winter you'll be surprised how effective it is :D

Return to “Property Management”