Disturbing story

You now have a property and need someone to look after it whilst you are away or renting it? This is the place to look and post!

Moderator: Moderator

Happyeater

Disturbing story

Postby Happyeater » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:02 pm

One of our ex-pats working over here told me a really disturbing story involving threatening behaviour, simply because they run a business and are trying to make a go of earning a living over in Bg.

I can't name names because of the nature of these threats from a property developer and even by local taxi drivers. This has forced the service to be done on empty apartments at 2,3,4,5am to avoid being seen. These threats have even been made against the children of this individual, who is known on here. The reason is greed and a fear that ex-pats are doing well for themselves.

Please don't speculate as to the names, just be aware that some of our own over here, working really hard and supplying an excellent service really need us property owners to support them, best we can.

Paul

Cheerful
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Disturbing story

Postby Cheerful » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:20 pm

I would strongly urge this individual to inform all possible official instances/authorities as s/he can about this - and all related or similar - events. Details to every EU office in Bulgaria and in Brussels, to the police force in Bulgaria, to Interpol, to Europol, to the relevant embassies in Bulgaria (British or wherever) - or all EU embassies and representations, to the Ministry of Justice, to the Interior Ministry ... and to keep on making reports whenever something else occurs. Only by complaining and following up on such activities will things ever change for the better ... and the complaints can be made anonymously if someone's in fear of reprisals ....

Do not let these individuals get away with this ...inappropriate behaviour ... cos' we're all suffering as a result ...

My sympathy is with the ex-pats concerned as this must be a frightening experience, especially when children are involved, however bullies are bullies ... and the EU and the police etc. have good reasons to get involved and stop such behaviour for the future ....

Good luck! Tell us how we can all help ....

balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:06 pm

Hmm, if you can't/won't give names, the nature of the business, its location etc etc, how do you expect these people - and other ex-pats with businesses in Bulgaria - to be "supported" by property owners? And supported how?

For sure Bulgaria has had its problems since "the changes" with strong-arm tactics, protection rackets etc but really your post could just as easily be describing some local squabble between this particular ex-pat and some local - or even another ex-pat. It hardly suggests something of national significance.

Happyeater

Postby Happyeater » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:47 pm

My post is asking people to support their own by using their service whenever possible. It isn't about local squabbles or ex-pat issues.

This individual, known to these boards, is scared witless by these threats. Their livlihood is at risk because of this and that is a shame when so many people are moving to and investing in Bulgaria.

bertieboy

disturbing story

Postby bertieboy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:41 pm

Hiya All, i`am probably not the most experienced person on this forum by a long chalk, but over the last nine/ten years of visiting this beautiful country, have met and know some very different characters, both british but mainly BG, call some of them gangsters if you will, but at the end of every day Bulgarians know the value of their increased tourism, and unless provoked it would not be seen by the holidaymaker or homeowner, Bulgarians have a long fuse in general and can almost certainly deal with most situations quietely and without consequence. It would do for us to remember we are in there country, if we p*ss them off we have to deal with it.

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:01 pm

Totally agree Bertieboy, and we are guests in BG at the end of it all.
However, I can imagine how language and cultural differences could be misinterpreted, causing unnecessary harm between even the best relationships in BG.
Nikki

Cookoid_0
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cookoid_0 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:20 pm

Well I dont know if most of us can contribute much to this debate as the exact circumstances are somewhat vague, but I have never seen or heard of any undue ill feeling towards expats.

I do think there is a different business culture over in Bg though. I guess this is born of communism. What might be seen by us as legitimate competitive behavour might be seen as aggressive or deliberate/personal by a Bulgarian.

That said, if this was a big problem we would hear about it all the time on the forum I am sure.

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:27 pm

I have to say we haven't either and hope never to have it happen.
I am a year older than you, wish we could retire in either country, saying that I couldn't imagine not working either.
We don't want to take work from Bulgarians but hope to create more work for them instead.
I hope your adventure continues.
Nikki

bertieboy

disturbing story

Postby bertieboy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:37 pm

No God, forbid i would have to stop working, ( that would only hapen if i were to die ) but being able to come and go as you please is probably the best scenario, at least thats what i`m hoping. I am almost certain at some point to try and do something in Bg, at the moment i have a one or two things in the fire, with one or two company`s, sorry to be unclear but loose lips sink ships.
Regards
Bertie Boy

BlackleyDynamo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby BlackleyDynamo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:05 pm

Cookoid_0 wrote:I do think there is a different business culture over in Bg though. I guess this is born of communism. What might be seen by us as legitimate competitive behavour might be seen as aggressive or deliberate/personal by a Bulgarian.

I've heard this said before - I think the concept of legitimate competition has yet to be entirely understood in all parts of BG

Return to “Property Management”