Septic tanks - cost, emptying.............

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

Septic tanks - cost, emptying.............

Postby rgawith » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:20 am

Having just read the long thread on septic tanks I would appreciate some advice.

In having my house built I have been told that it is actually not allowed to have a septic tank that soaks away and best option is to have one that converts dirty water to clean and then a pump to use this water for garden.

However, cost is around 5000 Euros (compared to 1000 Euros I was expecting) and septic tank requires emptying.

Any one know more about this and whether this is way too expensive and whether getting a septic tank emptied will be a problem.

Maybe the cheaper options I have in mind are the 'cess pit' options and ones that will become illegal under the EU?

I know here in the UK we just get a local farmer empty tank, although not very often, but not sure how easy it will be to get someone to do this in BG.

Rachel

Cookoid_0
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cookoid_0 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:07 am

I have seen one builder who installs prefab western style septic tanks but I cannot find a web link. Unfortunatly that builder is ill and I cant get him to explain.

I dont think watertight cesspits will be illegal?

margarita
<b>Language Tutor</b>

Postby margarita » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:21 am

Hi rgawith,

For the first time I hear about not allowed soakaway septic tank in BG. Are you talking about UK?

rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

no in BG as I said

Postby rgawith » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:28 am

No tanks that soak waste into gardens appear to be, if not actually illegal, not advised. This is in BG from my understanding.

vjay
Super User!
Super User!

Postby vjay » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:34 am

Hi

We have had a bio sewage treatment station installed on our new build due to the possibilities joining the EU.

It was a french system.

The total cost of this was 8,720 levs

rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

???

Postby rgawith » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:36 am

Can you explain what this is compared to a septic tank or cess pit? Seems to be nearer in price to what I have been quoted.

Rachel

vjay
Super User!
Super User!

Postby vjay » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:01 am

Hi Rachel.

l will try and sort some paper work out for you and send it to you.
We was given the paper work 4 weeks ago and it has been translated into english.
The reasons we had it fitted.

(1) We have got quite a high water table on our land and if we had of had the normal type that people are saying one flush and it would of been overflowing into our garden also if we had excesive rain.

(2) As and when we enter the EU the ordinary type possibly will become illegal,We decided to do this to satisfy ourselves and also for a selling point of view if ever we wanted to re-sell.IT HAS A 10 YEAR GAURANTEE.

l can understand people saying how can they make the ordinary one illegal.
But who would of thought years ago asbestos roofs would be illegal how many people have still got asbestos as garage roofs (US FOR ONE)

WE THOUGHT IS WAS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY AND HAVE IT DONE NOW.

bye for now Viv and Jim

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:49 am

They're still legal in UK and if memory serves me well, we, in UK, are in the EU. So, why would BG suddenly be different than UK or France or Germany or anywhere else, really?
Anyone thinking of starting a septic tank replacement business?

Cookoid_0
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cookoid_0 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:53 am

Yes Viv and Jim it was your spectacular beautiful house I was referring to.

Todor's people gave me a piece of paper with details of your system on it but I lost it. Couldnt find it on the web anyway.

scanniaman
Penny Pincher

Postby scanniaman » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:15 pm

we have also been told that the 'soakaway' tanks cannot now be used and were advised to have a watertight cesspit as a cheaper option although it 's not that cheap really. Prices of 5500 or 3800 lev. I've been quoted 8463 lev for a septic tank and outer sewage works complete.

Vjay - any chance you can send me the paperwork about yours too please ?

Cheers
scanniaman

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”