Septic tanks - cost, emptying.............

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

discovery
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

septic tanks cost emptying

Postby discovery » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:59 pm

There is a product available here in the Uk , a pal of mine uses it and says it works fine , check out there website.http://www.homezyme.com/?referrer=google
Disco.

islavision
Super User!
Super User!

Postby islavision » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:30 pm

I went to view a house and asked where the septic tank is.

A metal ring about 6inches in diameter embedded into the concrete of the garage floor is pointed at. How can you tell if it's a septic tank?

I asked how it's emptied and was told the people who pump it out drill into the cement, does that sound right?

Does anyone with experience in these thing know how to tell if there is really a tank there or not?

After reading this thread I am now really worried as the garage is attached to the house and that may not be the best place for a septic tank. Don't want to live in villa stinka :!: 8O :roll:

isla

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:35 pm

I think it is unlikely that the septic tank is under the floor of the garage. And you need to drill for access ?

Buy elsewhere !

islavision
Super User!
Super User!

Postby islavision » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:39 pm

Scot47

I love this house, will taky your advice thanks, it seemd odd to me too.
isla :)

domino
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby domino » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:33 pm

Hi Isla,

My villa originally had an outside loo, that loo had its septic tank under the loo, in one corner of the room there was a small 12" wide concrete cover, that was used for cleaning purposes.
I wouldn't let a septic tank put you off buying a property you love!!

Domino :wink:

islavision
Super User!
Super User!

Postby islavision » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:22 am

Hi Dom,

Thanks for your input.

I am unsure about it, the whole of the garage floor is cement and the small what looks like metal ring is only partially visible as it's set into the cement, there is no way anyone could lift it without drilling into the cement., I did not see traces of an outline where the cover would lift. Then who knows if there is a tank there or not.

There are thousands of houses for sale and I really don't want to buy a problem. It's very hard to find somewhere without being able to have a survey done before buying, (it's almost the same as buying blind offline, as I know nothing about construction), am starting to think it's impossible. :(

Do you know if septic tanks are drawn onto the plans of the property.?

Cheers
isla

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:39 am

The septic tank may have been built after the house - if it is there at all. It was common to build a privy ( a 'long drop') and then later, when funds permitted to put in water-borne sanitation with a septic tank or a mains connection.

Cookoid_0
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cookoid_0 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:58 am

If you are doing extensive works on the property, adding or moving bathrooms and ensuites, it might be better to rethink where the tank is anyway. I think I would prefer access to it to be outside. I wouldn't let it scupper the deal.

domino
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby domino » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:08 am

islavision wrote:
I am unsure about it, the whole of the garage floor is cement and the small what looks like metal ring is only partially visible as it's set into the cement, there is no way anyone could lift it without drilling into the cement., I did not see traces of an outline where the cover would lift. Then who knows if there is a tank there or not.

Hi Isla,

The metal rings do sound like the lifting rings, there may be no outline of the hole, as someone may have screeded over it at a later time, not a big problem if you love the place, but your right, there are a million others out there that i'm sure you'll also love.

Domino :wink:

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”