Septic tanks - cost, emptying.............

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

hamster
Super User!
Super User!

Postby hamster » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi,

Has anyone got any updates on prices for emptying a septic this year. I need to get mine done and wanted to know what a fair price would be?

My garden in on a slope and we are currently digging the land to level this off does anyone has any knowledge on how close to the septic I can dig i.e what would be a safe distant to leave aroung the tank without any problems as we are digging 3ft down.

Cheers,

seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:47 am

It is impossible to answer your question about a safe distance to dig without knowing the the details of the tank, the materials used and the quality of the construction, together with the type ground in which it is built.
If it really is a sceptic tank and not a soakaway or holding tank then there will be a fresh water distribution system of pipes coming from it which will prevent much digging anyway.

hamster
Super User!
Super User!

Postby hamster » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:56 am

Hi,

The tank I think is a soak away it is made of concrete and I remeber the builder saying that the water would soak from the tank and the other stuff would stay in :0)

It was built just under 3 years ago and I think it is about 8ft deep. This is the first time that we have had to had it emptied and we live here full time.

Sorry i am not very good when it comes to stuff like this as we just let the builder put in what he recommended.

The area where the tank is was very clay like but the area we are currently digging is a soft soil which compacts down easily. My plan is to leave 2m of original soil around the tank but I am not sure if this will be ok?

Any help would be apperciated.

hamster
Super User!
Super User!

Postby hamster » Thu May 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Ok I seriously need some advise please. After months of speaking to the local municipality and the mayor I am still no nearer getting my toilet tank emptied.

It seems everyone has broken machines and cant come and clean the tank out. I did finally manage to find a company 40km away but when they visited they said the tank can only be emptied from the bottom of the garden as we live in a mountain and the tank is situated in the back garden and they said the pump cant pump upwards only downwards ???

The problem is there is no road access downwards as this is a mountain so I am now being told the other option is to drill a hole into the side of the tank and fit a pipe and then flush this with water to empty the waste.

Does anyone have an experience with this?

The other thing I have been looking into is to purchase a pump to pump the waste down the mountain. Again if anyone has a submersible pump fitted to there tank or knows if this is possible any advise would be great.

I looked on ebay and found the following pump:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HSEC651A-SEWAGE-C ... 3f08b84e98

But have no idea if this would work or what I should be looking at.

Also if this is possible can these be purchased in BG and if so what sort of price?

I am getting worried now as the tank is nearly full and i dont want a situation of this over flowing into the garden so if anyone can help I would be grateful.

Cheers

hamster

MOONLIGHT

Postby MOONLIGHT » Thu May 19, 2011 7:16 pm

Ours( near Haskovo) is emptied from road level, which is approx 8-9 metres above the bottom of the tank in the garden, with 30 metres of tubing from the lorry.

Where are you Hamster?

StvC

Postby StvC » Thu May 19, 2011 8:32 pm

hamster wrote:It seems everyone has broken machines and cant come and clean the tank out. I did finally manage to find a company 40km away but when they visited they said the tank can only be emptied from the bottom of the garden as we live in a mountain and the tank is situated in the back garden and they said the pump cant pump upwards only downwards ???

The problem is there is no road access downwards as this is a mountain so I am now being told the other option is to drill a hole into the side of the tank and fit a pipe and then flush this with water to empty the waste.

Absolutely ridiculous in both instances in my opinion. By it's nature it has to be able to pump up hill. Maybe not vertically but they need a certain amount of power to suck from the bottom of the tank, you're not telling me septic tank emptying relies on the physics of siphonic action to move solid waste over many metres.

It sems Bulgarian have a lot to learn about safe disposal of waste, pumping your raw sewage down the side of the mountain in the rankest concept I've heard of.

However I appreciate the urgency of your situation. If there is genuinely no company to do it I would at least try and get your waste 'down the mountain' in a gulley so it is underground.
Or, if you still have some capacity left. Divert all grey water (gutters, sinks, washing machine, dishwasher to a new soak away trench, buying time to source a proper, non-moronic pumping company :-)

StvC

Postby StvC » Thu May 19, 2011 8:33 pm

hamster wrote:It seems everyone has broken machines and cant come and clean the tank out. I did finally manage to find a company 40km away but when they visited they said the tank can only be emptied from the bottom of the garden as we live in a mountain and the tank is situated in the back garden and they said the pump cant pump upwards only downwards ???

Absolutely ridiculous in both instances in my opinion. By it's nature it has to be able to pump up hill. Maybe not vertically but they need a certain amount of power to suck from the bottom of the tank, you're not telling me septic tank emptying relies on the physics of siphonic action to move solid waste over many metres.

It sems Bulgarian have a lot to learn about safe disposal of waste, pumping your raw sewage down the side of the mountain in the rankest concept I've heard of.

However I appreciate the urgency of your situation. If there is genuinely no company to do it I would at least try and get your waste 'down the mountain' in a gulley so it is underground.
Or, if you still have some capacity left. Divert all grey water (gutters, sinks, washing machine, dishwasher to a new soak away trench, buying time to source a proper, non-moronic pumping company :-)

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 pm

I would really like to know the maximum length of piping that anyone has used to pump out a tank. Where I want to put a tank is quite a way from the road.... :(

grasshopper

pumping septic tanks

Postby grasshopper » Thu May 19, 2011 8:59 pm

have been told there is a product that can be added to the tank that liquifies solids and enable pumping out to maximum. be sure not to put paper down or other matter as this will including bleach kill the process

grasshopper

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Thu May 19, 2011 11:33 pm

I spent the morning of the Royal Wedding peering down a sewer with some contractors, which I don't regret one bit. Since then I have gained an intimate experience of the working of vacuum tankers (motto: "We are on the road to suck-cess")!

1. I don't think you have a septic tank because if you did you would have a percolation field of 30 feet or more where you couldn't dig at all.

2. If you discharge your effluent overground and it goes into a watercourse you are, according to the EU, and in this instance they are probably right, an environmental criminal of the first water.

3. Vacuum tankers carry sections of 6" pipe which they can connect together. It takes as much pressure to pump fluid 10 feet horizontally as 1 foot up, so combine a long run with a big lift and the tanker may not be able to do it. Anyway with a long run when they take the pipes off all the effluent in the pipes will run back over your property.

4. So I myself wouldn't design a system where the tanker could not get within 15 feet of the holding chamber. In the UK these vehicles tend to be 17 tons plus contents, so they need a solid reasonably level road or track.

Your best bet might be to start again with proper advice taking into account the latest EU laws. Mountains and percolation fields probably don't go together. If you don't mind using electricity you can put in your own mini sewage disposal works.

Submersible sewage pumps are not all that expensive and as an interim measure you could probably pump your effluent back to a chamber nearer the road. At 7 litres a second (something like 100 gallons a minute, I think) it takes 6 minutes to fill a 150 yard 4" pipe from empty, according to my calculations, which are probably wrong. Another interesting factoid!

Or maybe you should be talking to a farmer? They have slurry tankers that are towed by tractor so should be able to get closer and he might welcome some money and some stuff to grow tomatoes. I expect it's illegal though.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”