2 Stroke Machinery

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
greenfingers

2 Stroke Machinery

Postby greenfingers » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:39 am

Hi All,

As most of you know I'm a landscaper/gardener.I recently had problems with my large Husqvarna brushwood cutter and took it in for service.
I was advised that it needed a new diaphragm in the carburettor and that this was caused by the quality of the petrol here in Bulgaria.They recommended that I used a mixture of 1:33 instead of 1:50 and always use premium grade of petrol.Further recommendation was not to keep any stock of petrol for too long,maximum probably only 1 week.Don't forget everybody to drain all your equipment for Winter!

Regards
Steve (greenfingers)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Villyman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Villyman » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi Steve, Sounds a bit dodgy as the plug/s would get oiled up quick.

I dont know about brushcutters, but in the UK, my 2 stroke outboard and 2 stroke power generator are harder to start and run like old tractors if the mixture isn't right. Let us know how you get on.

Willie

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
hopkin
Super User!
Super User!

Postby hopkin » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:28 pm

An original neoprene diaphram should be resistant to pretty well any grade of fuel but they do eventually wear due to fatigue, if you increase the oil/petrol ratio all that happens is that in effect you are running not only on an oilyer mixture but also a weaker mixture, neither of which is perticularly good news for a stroker! 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
greenfingers

Postby greenfingers » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:39 am

Hi Hopkin & Villyman,

As you can imagine I operate a lot of 2 stroke machinery ranging from brushwood cutters,strimmers,chainsaws,blowers,stonecutters etc.
Having said this I by no means put myself forward as an expert.This advice was freely given to me by the Husqvarna/Stihl dealers in Teteven.Although a lot of my equipment has been put to bed for the Winter I'm using my chainsaws (3) virtually every day of the week and to date have had no problems starting at all although I do accept that there could be some oiling up this is easily sorted.I'm not qualified to enter into any debate on the matter but naturally heed the advice of the dealers as this was a no gain situation for them.I spend a lot of money on machinery with them and they obviously feel this advice is valid.As such I feel happy to pass their advice on with no disrespect to your goodselves and your views.

Regards
Steve (greenfingers)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Godey
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Godey » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:04 am

I dont think its got anything to do with the grade of petrol or even the mix ratio .I have a petrol strimmer(maculloch) here in the U.k. and the rubber parts in the carb became brittle and cracked over time.I believe that this happens over time anyway but the time this takes can be extended by draining the fuel out if its not going to be used for a little while.Also more importantly buy a make that has a good reliable spares backup service.I tend to look for this before I buy now .Buying cheap always comes at a price.I looked at the Husqvarna tools in Vidin seems very expensive but good spares backup.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Chippy
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby Chippy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks for the above advice.

Has anyone bought a strimmer in Varna / Dobrich? If so where is best and where is a good outlet. I tried Kavarna with no luck.

Regards
Chippy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:21 pm

Bought mine in Praktiker in Varna last Summer. Good choice there.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Captain-freak
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Captain-freak » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Bought one in pratika in VT........................ cooked itself after 1 hour..... had to go to Sofia for warranty...... I was told i mixed the fuel wrong....... needed new motor (allmost the same price as new one) I know I did'nt mix the fuel wrong 50:1, I even said send the fuel away for sampling..... then was told that there was no proof that the fuel in it was the fuel used! Anyhow after another trip to Sofia and much debate.....got a local to sort the little motor out, the good old fashioned way! Moral of the story..... it appears that the customer is still very much at the mercy of the retailer in Bulgaria.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Andy57

Postby Andy57 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:23 pm

You need to check the spec on the 2 stoke oils you are using, Husqavarna and Stihl are both 50:1 mix using there own spec oils and both suggest 25:1 for standard 2 stroke oils......

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:14 pm

Hi all

bit off thread this, sorry mod.

Just wanted to say that I think two stroke tools are a proper pain in the arse. The good news is that a lot of tools that needed to be two stroke in the past now are availeble with four stroke engines. This means less maintenance easier starting and no fuel mixing.

So if you are shopping for garden machinery look to see if you can get a four stroke alternative.

Cheers all Fred.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”