EU grants for villages

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:28 pm

I would entirely agree - there is more money than can possibly be spent and any half-arsed proposal will get funded. Its just that this is Bulgaria and those in control try to give the impression that this is a 'competition'. Plus Bulgarians by their nature believe that you have to know someone to get something from these schemes. Its rubbish - you just have to write a half decent proposal, come up with the co-financing and it will be yours. And if you get any problems, squeal to the EU about corruption and you will be surprised at how quick things get sorted out. One of my greatest disappointments from my time in this country has been how ineffective the people have been at taking what is by right theirs from the systems that I (and an army of others) created.

You have to think a little laterally - if you don't have enough bees, how about an organic honey farm? Or a rural regeneration scheme? Or a rural tourism scheme? Fit what you have to the schemes that are available and don't take no for an answer. Especially those corrupt b**ger at the Paying Agency

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks guys for your EU input, some things are starting to make a little sense now, it sounds a little like something I did back in Blighty many years ago....Anyone whos ever had to go through the local authority planning department will understand how difficult it is, BUT the local authority (Mine anyway) had a duty to "help me help myself" if that makes sense.

I managed to save thousands upon thousands by doing the planning application myself, then I learned how to do achitectual drawings then finally I found a final year uni student to do my engineering calculations for me, I had many errors and had to re-submit and re-submit again and again etc. but I got there in the end only took 2 years but my local authority planning dept were great and they kept steering me in the right direction, does the EU work that way??

Also I believe (Could be wrong) is there funding for fixing up old churches, we have a nice old stone church in our village that could do with some TLC, when I was last in there talking with the chappy who looks after the old place I mentioned why have they not applied for EU grants to fix the place up and he knew nothing about the EU or funding etc.

Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:09 pm

http://www.norwaygrants.org/en/

As well as EU grants,Norway has also sponsored some very nice projects in Bulgaria.I was at a presentation in Varna this year of the things they have been involved in over the years,so it may be another way of getting a project funded.

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Mat wrote:

You have to think a little laterally - if you don't have enough bees, how about an organic honey farm? Or a rural regeneration scheme? Or a rural tourism scheme? Fit what you have to the schemes that are available and don't take no for an answer. Especially those corrupt b**ger at the Paying Agency

I was doing this already but my friends keep laughing at me like I'm some kind of old hippy :D

My big plan was to buy another acre of overgrown unused land near my village (Have made enquiries but nothing sensible has come back yet) and plant it up in to the perfect bee habitat so it had a long pollen duration form the various trees/shrubs/plants and grasses....I suppose that would kinda qualify to be an organic honey farm??

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Absolutely. Make a demonstration area and claim to be a vocational education provider. If you're under 40, register as a farmer and get an extra payment as a young farmer (I think its 10.000 euro a year!!!!). Plant your bee-friendly trees on the neighbour's land so he qualifies for agri-environment payments which he splits with you. Lease the bees to fruit growers for fertilisation. Get organic status and double the price of your honey - the EU has restricted a lot of imported honey due to Monsanto GMO contamination and demand is set to soar.

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:56 pm

[quote="qwerty"][quote="Mat"]

You have to think a little laterally - if you don't have enough bees, how about an organic honey farm? Or a rural regeneration scheme? Or a rural tourism scheme? Fit what you have to the schemes that are available and don't take no for an answer. Especially those corrupt b**ger at the Paying Agency[/quote]

I was doing this already but my friends keep laughing at me like I'm some kind of old hippy :D

My big plan was to buy another acre of overgrown unused land near my village (Have made enquiries but nothing sensible has come back yet) and plant it up in to the perfect bee habitat so it had a long pollen duration form the various trees/shrubs/plants and grasses....I suppose that would kinda qualify to be an organic honey farm??[/quote]

You could try a local farmers co-operative. They may have the info you need re grants, plus, they may even encourage you to place your hives near their crops. Especially if the crop is a flowering crop such as rape, sunflower, etc..

BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Bee warned of Eu grants, they give and take away http://m.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2 ... -jars.html

EU has its way every producer shall require to test their honey pre-sale, costing hundreds (maybe) of pounds per test and then label the produce contains pollen.

Although perhaps a DIY test kit bee produced allow self testing of honey, any existing producers require spend funds re-labeling jars etc.

NB. If the topic is village, then any grant be required go through a major or village administration.

Grant aid is a route to attaining data and from decisions to regulate be served and enforced without too many squeals from those subject of regulation.

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Isnt it strange how when the subject turns to EU grants the language rapidly turns to a kind of lawyer speak with a twist of gobledy gook :lol:

Mat your wasted at what ever it is your currently doing, you are so convincing on the subject of EU grants, could I pay you in eggs and walnuts for future advice :lol:

I must confess I've read or tried too, both websites that have been given by helpful members but so far have not found anything :cry:

Other than the farmers co-op, nobody in my village knows anything about any grants and I do believe as a previous poster wrote, that the feeling in the villages is that you have to know someone or pay someone to get these things.

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:50 pm

Slaphead wrote:

You could try a local farmers co-operative. They may have the info you need re grants, plus, they may even encourage you to place your hives near their crops. Especially if the crop is a flowering crop such as rape, sunflower, etc..

Hi Slaphead, yep renting out bees to further crop production is the very thing thats been killing them off, most governments have studies running to find the cause of the big bee problem, no bees = no polination= very low yeilds = very high food prices.

The French study is the longest I think and their conclusions are GMO pesticides. In the US and some parts of Europe the lack of bees has become such a problem for farmers that they pay you to place your hives on their land and the honey becomes secondary, but if you transport your bees about they have a much greater risk of coming in contact with the harmful (too them) GM pesticides...Catch 22

Hence my little bee oasis on the outskirts of my village.

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks for that info qwerty.
A couple of years ago the field opposite us were sown with rape and a large, local honey producer placed 100s of hives alongside the fields. He seemed to be busy every day taking lots of honey, hence my suggestion.
It'll be interesting to see if he returns next spring/summer as the co-operative has planted rape again.
Good luck in your search.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”