EU grants for villages

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Interestingly for me, in 1998 I presented a dissertation on Monsanto, GM foods and their effects as part of my HNC Business Studies course. Bees and the effects of GM crops on them, didn't come into it at that time.
Obviously this has nothing to do with this topic so apologies if it's off on a tangent.

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Slaphead wrote:Interestingly for me, in 1998 I presented a dissertation on Monsanto, GM foods and their effects as part of my HNC Business Studies course. Bees and the effects of GM crops on them, didn't come into it at that time.
Obviously this has nothing to do with this topic so apologies if it's off on a tangent.

Its a reascent problem less than 10 years I think, its decimated the industry in USA to the point where the large hive owner know their bees will die and are now importing from Australia, simular problem in Europe but not as bad as the US yet.

And to bring it back on subject, the BG. Government along with many others have relaxed the amount of hives that you can keep in your garden in the villages. Because keeping bees other than for your own pot of honey is now a commercial risk because of the new mystery "bee problem" The EU and many Govmts. have recognized just what no bees means for human food production and consumption and are now encouraging people to get in to the business.

If the villagers (Plus me and Wolfie) were able to get the EU grants easily it would make a difference to their incomes plus a positive difference to human food production.

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Slaphead I forgot to say what the GM thing is, according to the experts its a new kind of GM pesticide that coats the seeds, then as the crop grows the pesticide becomes part of the actual plants molecular structure, so the pesticide is in the whole plant, even the pollen, this is what they think (At the moment) is making the bees disappear!!

jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:20 am

is it the crop pesticides (maybe a new 'ingredient' added) that is giving the bees the 'mouldy nose' disease that is wiping them out?

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:42 am

jinx57 wrote:is it the crop pesticides (maybe a new 'ingredient' added) that is giving the bees the 'mouldy nose' disease that is wiping them out?

Its called CCD but its still very much a mystery as to the cause.....In the villages it quite lickley that the bee population are wiped out overnight, your mate in the next village might be OK and give or sell you cheap some more bee to get you up and running again.

But if they are also gone from the next village and the next, then you have to pay to have them shipped in, I would fully understand any of the villagers giving up with the bee business at that point, there really is a limit how many times you could throw your money in to what has become a more risky business lately.....Hence you need your EU subsidy to keep you going

http://www.novamov.com/video/qfxjy8k2iqsgm the link is a documentary on the problem

Villyman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Villyman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:40 pm

It would seem from the last 5 or 6 posts that most info being given is for Bee Keeping. Good, if you live in a remote location and don't like neighbours or visitors.

When we moved here the house opposite had maybe 15 hives looked after by a local pensioner. He didn't live there but stayed in his own central village house with his extended family,one of them the Mayor and attended the hives daily suitably dressed for the job. When he died last year his grandson took over the hives and has increased these to 75 at last count. Yes the hives are 5 meters from the fence and he has put up a wall of corn stalks around the house.

The bees now use our pool as a watering hole and it was practically unusable this summer as it was always surrounded by a swarm. I got 8 stings at one time while trying to cut the grass with face and eyes swollen for days. I also discovered that the reason they use this house and garden for the hives is because the Mayors husband is allergic to them. (I'm all right Jack so stuff you).

After suffering them all this year including 2 holidays with relatives ruined I decided to do away with them and have imported a cure-all from overseas that will see them off next year.

There are numerous threads on here regarding Bee-keeping with good advice and prospective Bee-Keepers might be better looking there with a simple search.

Maybe when people start giving advice and links to grants for Bee-Keeping they should also include advice on caring for the rights and comforts of their neighbours. 5 meters means nothing when your being stung (thats why Bee-Keepers don't work in their swimsuits).

Now back to grants..........................

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Totally agree - there are rules and if the locals don't take care of them because they have 'connections' its fair enough to bring in a high powered insecticide and plot a midnight ninja operation of destruction.

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:10 am

Mat wrote:Totally agree - there are rules and if the locals don't take care of them because they have 'connections' its fair enough to bring in a high powered insecticide and plot a midnight ninja operation of destruction.

Perhaps there's an extermination grant!!

I had a bee problem exactly the same as villageman when I lived in Turkey, asked the bee keeper very nicely many, many times to move his 45 boxes further away, there was acres and acres of woodland so there were no space issues.

I also couldn't go in my pool and it was very frustrating, just because of one mans ignorance......Took matters in to my own hands (Which I don't recommend) killed 75% of his bees, it doesn't cost a penny if you know how (Again I don't recommend this) but the bar steward soon moved his boxes away from my villa, shame it had to come to that but its the only way to deal with people who have no consideration for others.

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:15 am

So... EU Grants for Villages... and not just for bees! Anybody anything to add? 8O

Mod :wink:

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:01 pm

ps. you need at least 100 beehives to get EU funding under the RDP

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”