shootings of stray dogs in village

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shaggy
Super User!
Super User!

shootings of stray dogs in village

Postby shaggy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:26 pm

To day my 15 year old daughter and my self saw a dog shot to death.The dog in question was a very timid dog,any food our dogs did not eat i put in field outside,and this dog would creep down at night time and eat.We started putting bread out as well.Last night it had a feast of left over cassarole.The dog did not kill chickens or sheep it just lay down all day.
To night a local guy drove up and shot the poor thing.I understand that some stray dogs get violent but this one was coming closer to gates and maybe given 3 days we would have adopted it.BUT ALAS WE WERE NOT GIVEN THAT OPTION.I find this very upsetting.Bulgaria is now in the E.U and they must change the way they deal with things.My daughter was very upset and myself was almost sick.Has anyone else suffered the same thing?????????? :evil:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
wendyann67

Postby wendyann67 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi Shaggy,

This must have been terrible for you both. I agree that as an animal lover this appears senseless. I also believe as you do that there need to be regulations put into place to prevent this type of thing happening. I hope both you and your daughter are alright.

Wendy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shaggy
Super User!
Super User!

shootings of stray dogs

Postby shaggy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi wendy
thanks for reply,i know Bulgaria is behind the times,but todo a dog cull is beyond our imagination.We are still upset that the dog got shot and it will take us some time to get over it.
regards debs

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Keegan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Keegan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:49 pm

Hi Shaggy, like you I am a dog lover and what happened to the little stray is heart breaking. Im not condoning it but please try to remember that Bulgarian villages are many, many years behind the likes of the UK in terms of animal welfare. On the other hand look at the disgusting cases that come to the courts regarding animal cruelty in the UK and other sophisticated countries.

Best wishes Kath

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
johnandsan

animals

Postby johnandsan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:52 pm

hi shaggy,
i know how you feel, that is what turns me off bulgaria the way
they treat there animals 2 days ago
my english naybour emailed me to saya young boy brought this little puppy to her house holding it by its 2 front legs and left it in her garden ,
the puppy she said was no older than 6 weeks old,
the boy then turned round and walked away waving his arms and shouting rubbish.
surely some thing can be done about there animal crulty they just dont care
what about a patition and then send it to bg embassy, we english cant adopt all these poor and defencless animals

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:30 pm

Shaggy, I feel really sorry for you - what a dreadful thing for you and your daughter to have to witness. I can imagine how I would feel, being a dog lover myself. Absolutely heartbreaking story.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stancho
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

stray dogs

Postby stancho » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:49 pm

Look at it from another side. In the usa where i live in most major citys they destroy Hundreds of unwanted and stray dogs daily. Yes they are not shot but they are just as dead. The real issue is stray dogs and in bulgaria like everywhere else reducing them by Spay and neutering if the real answer. The animal control catches the dogs some are not fit for adoption they are destroyed. the others are only Held so long and then they are destroyed. It is only the cute and the puppies that really stand a chance all the others where dead from the moment they where captured. This is the reality of the stray animal situation in most shall we say modern countries
Stancho

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:02 pm

hi shaggy, it looks to me like this guy was making a statement to you about strays, might have seen you feeding it and not liked it, do you know him?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:59 pm

Not all animal refuges here in the UK keep all their strays either - many are put to sleep, Stancho.

That said, I would suffer nightmares for ever were I to witness what Shaggy and her daughter witnessed - particularly if the dog was beginning to trust me.

I'm sorry for your loss Shaggy and daughter.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
chrisarvor
<b> Pool Supplier/Installer </b>

dogs

Postby chrisarvor » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:48 pm

I think the guy that shot the dog had every right to do so.
Firstly he probably has livestock and if any dogs creep around at night they can cause the livestock,cows,pigs or whatever do do themselves damage in panic and as that man has to rely on those animals for his food you should understand that, A dog is treated here like evrything else if it has a use thats good if not get rid!!
This is Bulgaria and we should not criticise our neighbours.
In our second week here i saw a group of men standing by a cow i stopped to see if there was something wrong and maybe get a vet ,They cut the cows throat and when it fell down they cut it up and shared it out(this was in the street not in the garden) Thats life here.
After all it was only a dog and there are thousands of strays ,feel that bad collect em up.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”