Dogs & Cats: ticks, fleas and worms

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Wesley
Super User!
Super User!

Dogs & Cats: ticks, fleas and worms

Postby Wesley » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:03 am

The latest recomendations from the vet to protect your dog is as follows.
Once the pet passport is issued, frontline should be applied 24hrs before travelling, along with worming stuff, but only buy one capsule as he recomends that two weeks after this, you should change to Stronghold, so buy a multi pack of these (£24.25 per three pack)
The law requires us to apply the frontline, but in fact Stronghold is much better as it protects against fleas, ticks, worms and heartworm!
The single Frontline will cost £7.20.

Wes

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:22 am

Frontline in Bulgaria has limited effect against ticks & fleas, lasts up to 2 months and costs 12.40 leva per application in Yambol. We used this first with Kassie, but she was still coming home after a walk with at least 1 tick on her.

Advantix which is far better prevention against ticks, fleas, sandflies and mosquitoes, lasts for one month and costs 12.60 leva per application in Yambol. We have not seen any ticks on her since this application.

There is also a collar which states it last 7 months, but our vet advised us that after 3 months the prevention is reduced.

I havent investigated Stronghold here.

Nikki

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Gill
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Gill » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:11 pm

My cats have a Program injection against fleas / ticks every 6 months here in the UK. Does anyone know whether this treatment is available in BG?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Clint2

Postby Clint2 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:04 pm

I use stronghold but this does not work against ticks, it is good for fleas and heartworm. My bulgarian vet says frontline for ticks and fleas but I must admit I am not a great fan of Frontline.

Stronghold has only rencently become available in BG and it is not cheap, in UK my vet used to have special offers on it 3 boxes for the price of 2.

Dannia is advantix a spot on treatment like frontline and stronghold? In Burgas I pay 15.50lev for one application of frontline for a dog 10to20kg.

I have not heard of program in BG I used to use it in England for my cats

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Wesley
Super User!
Super User!

Doggie issue

Postby Wesley » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:12 pm

So if one uses Stronghold for fleas and Heartworm, what should we use for the tick issue? as far as I am aware, you shouldn't use frontline and stronghold together.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Clint2

Re: Doggie issue

Postby Clint2 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:23 pm

Wesley wrote:So if one uses Stronghold for fleas and Heartworm, what should we use for the tick issue? as far as I am aware, you shouldn't use frontline and stronghold together.

The Bulgarian vet I use didn't seem to see a problem with using the 2 together but I am not happy doing that so when hubby went back to England last month he went to our vet there and got some worming tablets (they work against heartworm too) So this month I am going to use frontline + the tablets.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
trickytree
Super User!
Super User!

Postby trickytree » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:00 pm

We frontline our dogs and cat and get a monthly vacciantion for ticks and we check for those micro ticks in the ears and use drops to aid the vac, If you find a tick on your pet use oil and massage in counter clockwise until it releases, them burn the b**ger. not the pet hahah.We use a vet surgery in Varna that is open 24/7 and more often than not there is English speaking personel there. We have always had wonderful service there and couldn't reccomend them more highly.[/url]

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stevek
Super User!
Super User!

Postby stevek » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:47 pm

DO NOT PUT OIL On OR BURN TICKS.
Canada has a major problem with Ticks and if you check on the net you will see several reports by Canadian Vets/Drs detailing what to do to remove a tick, first and foremost is not to put anything onto it, Spirits, Oil etc which will only cause the little varmint to disgorge the contents of its stomach back into the host, the same applies to burning them. Secondly the "screwing them out" therory is dismissed because the Tick is not in anyway "screwed in" its just dug in with I think a barbed mouth, twisting the Tick will do two things, first you will probably squeeze the blighter and again squirt its foul contents into your pet, and secondly, twisting it is much more likely to break off the "mouth parts" which will then fester in the host. The Answer is a gadget called a Tick Spoon which can be bought at a UK Vet or as I did one evening, made quite easily from a plastic medicine spoon in which you cut a short tapered slot in the front edge, slip the spoon under the Tick until its firmly nipped in the slot, and the Tick can then be levered out where it rolls about looking gruesome in the bowl of the spoon, there is no g/tee that you will not have left behind a part of the Tick, but apparently its much less likely. I know all this because last year out little dogs came in from the garden with perhaps 15 Ticks between them, and the Spoon worked extremely well,
Steve.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
trickytree
Super User!
Super User!

Postby trickytree » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:59 pm

Sorry Stevek, but all our Bulgarian friends and our vets have told us this is the way to deal with ticks, oil , massage in a counter clockwise way and it releases from the pet and then burn the b**ger, not when it's attached to the animal, regards tt.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Clint2

Postby Clint2 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:07 am

we bought a tick tweezer from our vet in England.

Stevetek is right about not using things to try to suffocate the tick, there are lot of sites that explains how to remove ticks and what to do this is one of those sites

http://www.tickpreventionweek.org/remove/

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”