Dogs & Cats: ticks, fleas and worms

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu May 12, 2011 5:40 pm

AngloBulgarian wrote:Acquired a puppy 2 days ago as we nearly hit it on the motorway where it had been abandoned, on not too closer inspection the poor little thing was covered in about 200++ ticks.

We did it with the Prescription version of Front Line Spot On and now (24 hours later) and so far about 95% of them have dropped off - though the grotty little bu**er eats every one!!!

It is without question the ugliest little thing in Bulgaria but as usual it has a fantastic little personality and ALWAYS used its newspaper not the floor- LOL

Nicely done, may Karma reward you for each tick you removed. :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bobble

Postby bobble » Thu May 12, 2011 8:42 pm

my dog had a tick,i put some rakia on cotton wool rubed it on the tick,if fell off before i lifted the cotton wool of the dog .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
flowers

Postby flowers » Fri May 13, 2011 5:10 am

FOR FLEAS I USE A NIT COMB ON MY CAT,
REMEMBER THE OLD HEAD LICE COMB, IT WORKS A TREAT HAVE A BOWL OF WATER READY AND TAP THE FLEA INTO THE WATER WATCH THEM,SWIM, THE GOOD NEWS IS THEY CAN,T THEY DROWN,ITS VERY SATISFYING THE LITTLE BAS...IT WORKS A TREAT NO HARM TO THE ANIMAL WITH CHEMICALS JUST A COMB EVERY NIGHT, MY CAT STANDS THERE LOVES TO BE GROOMED, THE CHEMIST WILL SELL THEM IN BULGARIA, I'M SURE BULGARIAN CHILDREN WILL GET NITS JUST THE SAME,
THE ONLY DOWN SIDE IS THE CHEMIST WILL THINK YOU HAVE THEM AND NOT YOUR ANIMAL ITS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS ALL FLEAS GONE IN ONE HOUR BRILLIANT,,

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Quadsinbg
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

ticks

Postby Quadsinbg » Fri May 13, 2011 5:40 am

Take care everyone, our lovely spaniel was bitten by a tick last year which in turn made him very very sick. If we hadn't taken him to the vets quickly it could have been the end. After many blood tests and shots of various drugs he ended up on a long course of really strong antibiotics, liver tablets etc. It was all very worrying and also very expensive. We always make sure the dogs are frontlined but the vet said probably this one tick was carrying this particular disease and as our dog is orginally from the UK his resistance could have been low. Can't remember the disease name but wasn't Lymes.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:37 am

8 dogs so fleas and ticks are rather a thing for us. In summer we bath them regularly with Neem shampoo, flea comb and hoover, finishing off with Diatomaceous earth. As for using Frontline.......

Our neighbours dog got a tick and she went into a flatspin. Got the dog strong antibiotics, 2 vaccinations, and frontlined. After it died 2 days later the vet accused the tick, the autopsy showed it died of accute organ failure due to the excessive amounts of vaccines finished off with the highly toxic nerve agent in Frontline, nothing to do with the tick. (Frontline is a very potent neurotoxin designed to paralise the nervous system of fleas)

Before you bombard your loved one with chemicals, vaccines and nerve agents, investigate what concoctions you are subjecting them to. Try to be as natural as possible.
Last edited by brianj42 on Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tomkin

Ticks

Postby tomkin » Fri May 13, 2011 9:39 am

Hi All

When we encounter ticks at the kennels we use the "manual method" outlined below and we never recommend Frontline as an effective measure because in our experience it simply doesnt work and definitely has some undesireable qualities.

The thing that you need to be careful of when removing ticks is that you dont leave part of the tick in the skin. As has been suggested in this thread a strong alcohol solution (village distilled rakia will do) "shocks" the tick into releasing its grip. You then use a tick remover. If you do not have a tick remover get a plastic spoon and cut a small V in the bowl of the spoon. Secure the shocked tick in the V and roll the bottom of the spoon against the skin using steady upward leverage.

At this time of the year checking your animals for ticks on a daily basis is very important. We have not encountered this but apparently there is a tick which is green in colour that can cause human fatalities if not treated quickly.

Regards
Eric

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AngloBulgarian

Re: Ticks

Postby AngloBulgarian » Fri May 13, 2011 5:40 pm

tomkin wrote:Hi All

important. We have not encountered this but apparently there is a tick which is green in colour that can cause human fatalities if not treated quickly.

Regards
Eric

Probably 30% of the ticks on the little puppy we saved were distinctly green in coulour!!

We only ever handled him with either surgical gloves or big leather gauntlets till we were sure 100% of the little ***** had dropped off and we meticulousley washed our arms and hands, every night we checked each other from top to bottom to see if we had picked one up. I know this sounds paranoid but we had a puppy with 200+ blood sucking insects on him that will carry ANY blood born disease they come into contact with, it was a precaution but reading the above im glad its one we took.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri May 13, 2011 5:52 pm

I was only thinking yesterday that despite my 'early alarm' about ticks this year, the cold and miserable wet weather of April and early May seems to have kept them quiet - at least where I live and walk my 3 dogs.

No doubt they'll be back with a vengeance now it is getting warmer.

We are still using Advantix on a monthly to six week basis on our 3 dogs and Frontline on our Cat (when we see her). Plus, of course, the Tick Remover for those we find embedded so that we can torture them and eventually cremate the little blighters. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bgcarl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby bgcarl » Sat May 14, 2011 9:44 am

Well MW, you are lucky, where I walk the dogs in the woods, we all come back covered in the little blighters and have done for about a month now.

I read up on prevention some time ago and the only real advice was to stay away from tick areas during Spring, Summer and Autumn. No chance, walking with the dogs up in the woods is one of my greatest joys in life.

Up until this year I had never been bitten by a tick (to my knowledge), however this year I have caught three on me already and the little b**ger always choose the most awkward of places (don't ask!)

So I check the dogs and myself over at the end of each walk. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BGCarl

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:07 am

A quick spray with neem oil before walkies in the long grass/woods will deter the little beggars from jumping onboard passing food (your dogs). I can't say it will stop them entirely but it is a very good natural deterant and should lessen the numbers latching on. Fleas and ticks do not like the smell of neem, bit like ammonia to a dog.

Also. Give small quantities of garlic to the pets. Garlic makes the animal taste unpleasant to the fleas and ticks. You can give garlic by grating it to the pet’s food.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”