rakia - Making of

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Griswalds

rakia - Making of

Postby Griswalds » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:23 pm

I'd like to have a go at making Rakia, can someone post the easiest way to make it & all the ingredients i will need. I'm having trouble trying to buy a still here in the UK, I priced a small one up online for 100 Pounds, which is too expensive, do the sell small stills in BG, that way i could ferment my rakia then still it after mynext visit to BG at the end of August. Any info appreciated
Griswalds. :oops:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Griswalds

Postby Griswalds » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:18 pm

I'M HAVING TROUBLE REGISTERING TO OPEN UP, :? BUT THANKS TOMA FOR YOUR HELP. GRISWALDS. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MissEllie
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MissEllie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:33 pm

Worth continuing with the signup , that link is very useful thanks , never thought of this mystical Rakia stuff being the product of left overs , looking forward to trying some :o

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:22 am

I think it is usually the case that the village has access to a still, ask the neighbours. Not surprised you are having difficulty buying one in the UK, should think any such purchase in UK would be accompanied by a visit from customs and excise! It is somewhat illegal there.

Our neighbours tell me that is what green tomatoes are for... and there I was thinking I was living in a nice sober muslim village!

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Griswalds

Postby Griswalds » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:44 pm

:lol: I Bought myself a lovely little still today, the lady in the home brew shop gave me a wink then said it was a full working orniment, i'v stoned my plums now i'm gonna ferment my brew, i'll have ago at destilling when i get back from bul, i just hope my daughter remembers to stir it for me while i'm away, if all goes well i might be drinking my own illegal rakia by xmas. cheer's griswalds. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Griswalds

Postby Griswalds » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:48 pm

Thankyou for all reply's. griswalds.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
richi
Super User!
Super User!

rakia.distilling dangers

Postby richi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:14 pm

just a little worried though on reading the poster...its not that simple....different alcohols ..like ethyl alcohol can be distilled off and they can be deadly....you really...reallly have to know what you are doing!!!! thousands of people die every year and they are long term distillers...some tips I have garnered...throw away the beginning and end of the run...re distill it and do the same....always shake the bottle to mix up the alcohols so you dont get a belt of the poison in one glass.....even one small glass with the ethyl in it can hospitalise you. Richi

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:20 pm

With regard to distilling Rakia,this year I made my own Rakia. One thing puzzles me, alchol vaporises at a lower temp than water. During the process the Rakia comes out of the still at varying percentages, for example the first started to come at 75% and the last at 45%, at which point it starts to become water. So I have 60 lires of Rakia of varying percentages from 75% to 45%, do I mix it all together then test the percentage and add water or not to get an acceptable percentage?
I don't want to go blind although I don't mind risking one eye.

Regards MMMickk

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Milka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Milka » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:27 am

We came back this year with a bottle of Rakia we'd been given but it's too strong to drink! I've sampled it with the tip of my finger and it almost took my nail varnish off (only joking, but it IS lethal stuff!)

I was wondering what to dilute it down with to make it more palatable. Seeing as it has been fermented from apricots I was wondering about mixing it with some apricot brandy to both lower the proof and give it some flavour.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

M

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”