rakia - Making of

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Rakia

Postby jinx57 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Rakia, made by our neighbour, at least 3 years old went into the making of our Christmas pudding in place of brandy. The end result was excellent, all the flavours of the fruit came through but none of the harshness. Would recommend.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tavy

Postby Tavy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi all

While in VT recently we were given rakia in a bar which we didn't order, so has I don't like Rakia I thought I would experiment by putting it in hot choclate, it was yummy :lol: Just the drink for a cold snowy day :wink:

Regards Tavy :P

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tandt
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tandt » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi,
what is the difference between rakia and brandy ? Isn't it the same ?
Trev.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
JEAN
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby JEAN » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:07 pm

:roll: I could not drink rakia neat but with a little diet lemonade i really acquired a taste for it and it cured my sore throat in a few hours ..two small glasses Not the whole bottle.. Jean

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
whizz
Super User!
Super User!

Rakia the making

Postby whizz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:16 pm

We make about 70 litres of Rakia a year and in the following year we add whatever fruit is in cheap supply and leave it to ferment with a little added sugar until Christmas, the result is wonderful!! Strawberry is my favourite, followed by cherry and peach. Our Bulgarian friends are now asking us to make some for them which is quite a compliment.

I personally don't even like them smell of conventional rakia, I don't know if it's the bark they add which gives it the colouring but we've just had a bunch of Americans and Irish with us for Christmas and they couldn't get enough,

Cheers
Whizz

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Chippy
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby Chippy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:35 pm

I like my next door neighbours and another old geezers in the village but would not buy a branded bottle from a shop.

I think the fact that the neighbours make it makes it taste better... good local produce

Chippy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Pelican
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pelican » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:45 pm

We added Sloe berries and sugar to some of ours again this year and the result is delicious.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:54 pm

Brandy is made from grape wine. Rakia is made from fermented fruit, but some rakias seem to be made from parafin, at least that is what they taste like to me, and I have in my time drank rather a lot of parafin (reformed fire-breather!). I like the mastata (not sure of word), which is Bulgarian pernod, but prefer to drink that with water rather than neat as the villagers here do!

Tons and tons of sloe berries here, wondered if that would work, thanks will try it this autumn.

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:56 pm

"Mastika" is the BG liqueur which is like Pernod. Or Ouzo.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tandt
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tandt » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:03 pm

leedarkwood wrote:Brandy is made from grape wine. Rakia is made from fermented fruit,

Lee

Hi Lee,
but, you can buy apricot , plum , cherry, etc. brandy. So, what's the difference ? Anyone know - is rakia brandy ? I've always assumed it's the same thing ?
Trev.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”