rakia - Making of

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm

Not quite sure of the legal definition but my palate tells me its not a traditional brandy but they all fall under the heading of sprits and raki may well be classed as a brandy.
in my opinion arminiac is the best of the family of brandies and this is due to style of distillation.
ARminiac is distilled gently to the correct proof and the distillation is stopped.
BRANDY is the same process but slightly overdistilled then watered back down to the correct proof.

BOTH arminiac and brandy retain some of the aromas and taste given by there original fruits

further down the chain are drinks like Slijivovica, the hungarian equivalent of raki which is made traditionally with plums and although it is distilled vigorously it still retains a discernable flavour

raki on the other hand is distilled with not much control and like vodka and is made out anything or a mixture and can range from tasteless to cats pea but is certainly an ice breaker .

The
best thing to do is just call it raki so when you ask for one you don't get give expensive imported rubbish but the real thing

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
img
<b>Building Services</b>

Who makes their own Rakia

Postby img » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:06 am

Does anyone else make their own Rakia like us? This year we made some with our Cherries. Lovely flavour too

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Razor
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Razor » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:21 am

img, I don't make my own but would quite happily assist you in drinking yours.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:14 am

A visit to Lesevo down on the Turkish border and a few hours with Detchu the Rakia Maestro is a treat - bottled stuff tastes nothing like this velvet fire water!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:29 pm

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
img
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby img » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey well done mate, I've not tried with Grape yet, I'l have to give it a go.

Again well done.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Phreak
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

rakia making

Postby Phreak » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:27 pm

I just wanted to share my experience of making rakia

Last year we had the usual harvest of grapes, enough to make 300litres of wine but for some reason one barrel didnt clear too well, so our good neighbor Petco thought it would be best for us to make rakia

on new years eve at about 8 am Petco and I loaded 100 litres on to a hand cart and dragged it through the village to our electricians house these guys are both in their 70s

so we tipped the mush into the big bowl and lit the fire and all sat in the shed around the fire smoking cigars with snow on the ground outside.

The still is homemade and water cooled and during the process i was in charge of the manual water cooling and the tasting much to the delight of the old guys.

So at about 11 am I returned home with 30litres of fresh rakia completly p*ssed, much to the delight of my wife

It was an experience i wouldnt have missed for the world

roll on 2009 vintage

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”