Fastish growing trees and shrubs?

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rosa466
Super User!
Super User!

Fastish growing trees and shrubs?

Postby rosa466 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:56 pm

Could anyone tell me what would be the best, fastish, growing, native trees and shrubs?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rosa466
Super User!
Super User!

Postby rosa466 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:57 pm

what no wicked comments about Leylandii`s :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Carole
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Carole » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:39 pm

Laurels are good and are evergreen and seem to grow in low temps. I have also put in some fir trees (not the dreaded leylandi) that are supposed to be fast growing. There are lots of other shrubs but they will not grow in the cold of the mountains, not sure where you are though. It depends what you want them for - natural boundary, ground cover, summer show, etc.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Crossey

Postby Crossey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:32 pm

Hullo fellow gardeners

We are also looking for shrubs and hedging plants when we move over to BG next May. We had thought about Leylandi but it seems to be every garden expert's nightmare. We want to plant a hedge along our boundary fence and also some climbing plants to cover the bare walls left by the recent development in and around our plot. If anyone has any ideas of which plants would do well and where we can find garden centres we would be really pleased. We are located in Sokolovo near Balchik quite near the cost so no problems with the harsh winters of the mountain areas.

Thanks everyone.

Pat and Arthur Crossey

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bgcarl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby bgcarl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:30 pm

I'd like to kick start this thread off again as I am looking for hedging plants.

I must admit I have used the much maligned Leylandi in the past with a lot of success.

Does anyone know if you can get these in BG or something very similar or has anyone any alternative suggestions.

Cheers

BGCarl

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fey
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fey » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Oh no not Leylandi.....!!! you will be able to suss out the Brits homes with ease then.............and the birds hate them........

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
welsh-Vi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby welsh-Vi » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:12 pm

Regarding `weeping willows`, do they have catkin type thingies on them or is this something different ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
eyebright
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eyebright » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:36 pm

Forsythia, chanemeles (japanese quince), tamarix, philadelphus (mock orange) all grow wild here so do really well. Berberis, cottoneaster, butterfly bush (buddlea), spirea, cornus (dogwood), choisya, hebe, rhus and yukka. Clematis (is a weed here too) honeysuckle and climbing hydrangea are all growing successfully in my garden near Veliko Tarnovo.
There is also a climbing plant that is a bit of a thug climber that grows wild. It is beautiful with large orange trumpet like flowers but sorry I don't know it's name. Also russian vine another thug climber that grows 15 ft a year.
I have foundtwo garden centres round this area where most of these are available.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
eyebright
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eyebright » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:37 pm

leylandi is available but it's not a plant I'd even consider lol

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
eyebright
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eyebright » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:41 pm

Weeping willows do not have cartkins, it's hazel that have them. Also it's not wise to plant willow near any water pipes as they will seek out water wherever it is and if that means breaking your underground pipes to get at it they will.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”