Growing things...

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Growing things...

Postby Tiarnan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:59 pm

Back home next week....Ye Ha.....and hoping to begin work on a small....very small....garden to try our hand at growing a few things for our own kitchen....tomatoes, onions, herbs, spices and a few other things maybe. Never grew a thing before so is there any advice we should follow....like go to Picadilly perhaps. ? :lol:
Also would it be of any use bringing a gardening book....for absolute beginners....from Ireland or would that prove useless in another climate. ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:05 pm

A lot of it is much as back in Ireland/Britain. Potatoes, tomatoes, onions. You might need special advice on things like grapes. Get a few books AND speak to your neighbours. They are always full of advice. Usually they will all give you CONTRADICTORY advice !
Last edited by scot47 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:18 pm

Good luck with this project Tiarnan, I too will be having a go at growing stuff in Bulgarian soil.
Any tips on onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, cucumbers and tomatoes are very welcome.

Thanks

Nikki

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:20 pm

Thanks Scot....will try to get a few books to take back. Neighbours... ? in our village they don,t give much advice. :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Pelican
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pelican » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:26 pm

Yes best of luck with your garden.

Mrs Pelican has a BLOG describing her horticultural and agricultural experiences in BG.
You may find it useful and informative. :)

www.srebarnagarden.blogspot.com

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks Peli and Mrs Peli
I will have a good look at that,
Nikki

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:52 pm

we grow garlic, peppers, corn, beans, dont have much luck with cabbage, toms, cucumbers, the thing that you have to make sure of is the watering in the summer months. Do bring a book with you as will give you a good start, and as Scot suggested speak to your neighbours mind as he says they all have a different view on how to grow them :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:54 pm

I am also planning on growing as much fruit and veg as I can, and have bought hundreds of garden seeds (working in a garden centre has its advantages!), in the hope of getting something to grow. I believe the soil is very fertile north of VT, and am getting very excited about working on my garden. Have really good neighbours, who I am sure will be a mine of information on what to grow, and where. I would think that gardening books would be a great help - after all, you can always adapt things to your own area. I have also seen young tomato plants and things for sale in the markets. Don't know much about gardening, but I think plenty of tlc, sunshine and watering will produce some results (hope so anyway!). :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:33 pm

Just one tip that our neighbour told us and has worked very well, if you are going to grow cucumbers tie them to sticks and they will grow up not along the ground and you get a better crop

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oddball
Super User!
Super User!

Postby oddball » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:44 pm

8O Well Guys, We have no idea what will be growing in our garden, when we get back as the neighbors have decided to sort it out themselves. Before we left BG one neighbour set 5 rows of garlic, another set 2 rows of lettuce and 1 row of spring onions. another set 7 apricot trees and 5 grapevines, along with various spices and tea. My lovely neighbors have plans for peppers, tomatoes, cucs etc but I keep hoping one of them will set a MONEY TREE :P

God knows what I will do with all that stuff. We also have 8 apple trees, 2 walnut trees, 2 quince trees, 2 plum trees, 1 peach tree, one side of the garden has strawberries planted and a small vineyard. :roll: Mr Oddy wants grass, :P fat chance of that as neighbors just laughted at him.

Guess I will also be asking for ideas on what I can do with that lot eh!!!!

Oddy :wink:

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”