Growing things...

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Have had no luck at all with chives. Over a 2 year period I,ve planted seed from both Bulgaria and Ireland.....nothing. !
As for Bay Leaf....a neighbour has a tree.....out all year round and great leaves in Summer.......we,ve actually brought some back to Ireland with us.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

bay Trees & Chives

Postby rgawith » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:42 pm

cheers, finally found the post!

Bay trees do fine in low temperatures, they survive in the alps in France so sure they would be fine here. Just never seen them.

Got various other herbs from Kaufland but never seen chives. Will try Lidl!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
peterpiper
Super User!
Super User!

Bay Trees

Postby peterpiper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:23 am

Check your local Baumax, the one in Sofia had ggod sized container grown Bay trees, also their garden section is the best kept one that I have seen in a large store, everything was well watered and attended.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:20 am

Our local Lidl again has chives in pots. Also, basil (although that looks a bit worse for wear).

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Rocker asked:
Aechmea fasciata

Can anyone help me with this plant. It was bought as a gift in flower. The flower has now gone and I have three shoots (also known as pups) Advise on Google says to remove these pups once they reach 4-5 ins. But my problem is how do I remove them. I cant find any information on how to do this. They are firmly attached to the mother plant. Do I just cut them of without roots? They are growing quite fast and I think I need to do something soon.

Many thanks
Marie

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Samche

Postby Samche » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:11 pm

If you leave the 3 'pups' they will replace the central plant which will slowly die. Or do you want to split them to make 3 new separate plants?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Rocker

Has the plant flowered?

If not then leave it, if it has then just wait for the pups to get a bit bigger, take the whole thing out of the pot, shake off the compost and then pull the pups off the mother plant and pot them up. try to pull them off with roots attached.

Cheers Fred.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi again

Forgot to mention, the mother plant will begin to die after it has flowered. So pot up your new plants and discard the mother plant.

Cheers Fred.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Samche

Postby Samche » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Or alternatively leave the mother plant to die- pull it out when the leaves have died back- and allow the 3 new plants to grow in its place :roll:

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”