Growing things...

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Andyol

Postby Andyol » Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 am

Thank you eyebright, that’s quite encouraging. I have never had any luck with parsnips here. My soil is finely tilled and was always deeply dug. Distorted roots aren’t my problem; they just don’t germinated for me! Last year I tried the “intensive” approach and sowed some seed in some deep pots. Out of eight pots one germinated and I nurtured it until it turned into a coriander plant, so no success there but handy for a curry!

fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Tue May 11, 2010 11:49 am

Andyol, I read somewhere that most parsnip do not germinate due to over watering. Last year I too sowed in pots, damp compost, then hardly any water till germination, once they were big enough I transplanted then. I think I put up some shading till they settled. OK they were distorted. But they were very tasty and welcome for Christmas Lunch and a few weeks after. I believe I grew about 15 in all. We had a go at swede too, but they need lots of water and shade too. Having another go this year with both of them. Nothing ventured........

eyebright
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eyebright » Tue May 11, 2010 12:31 pm

That would make sense about them not doing well if over watered Fredatinsch. I sowed mine straight into the ground and hardly watered them at all by pure chance last year until they were well established. the last two a

fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 pm

eyebright, its better for me to start off in pots, my aim is not very good when I through out the cold washing up water, if one gets wet they all got wet!
Did not have good germination from my Enorma runner beans, may have been because they were coming up to sell by date. But managed fifteen strong plants and they are now in and thinking about climbing the new runner bean frame we made. I sent away to Suttons for more beans they arrived yesterday, they will not take long to catch up. I also put in yesterday my last row of Kelvendon Wonder Peas. This year I bought tomato plants from the market, dont know the variety, but it was explained one bunch of ten were ordinary size the other ten large. These went in too yesterday along with some Moneymaker. In some pots and hanging baskets I am trying Sweet Olive a F1 variety and Mini Bell. The Mini Bell I got free with a magazine my sister-in-law sent for my birthday.

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue May 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Maybe next year we could do a joint order from one firm and then split the order here?

eyebright
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eyebright » Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 pm

The problem I find Lee though is that seeds for the UK market tend to be the variaties that don't seem to do so well here. Maybe of course it's because I'm a bit of a slapdash sort of gardener and tend to take the attitude of shove it in and if it grows great lol.

Fredatinsh I pity you the large tomatoes......they are thugs and need to be supported using telegraph poles lol.

fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Thu May 13, 2010 2:48 pm

I suppose you should really use Bugarian seed, but I have not a lot of luck.
Sounds good to me Leedarkwood. My friend and I ordered first time round, just after Christmas, due to an email from Suttons, giving us 10% off, so that kind of paid the postage. Anyway I paid 95p postage on 23.96 worth of seed that arrived this week. Having a go at Achillea, Alstromeria, Aqilegia, wallflower and more Lupins. The Lupins I grew last year survived the winter, one plant in particular is massive with fourteen flower spikes.

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:31 am

rgawith asked:
Anyone seen any bay trees for sale anywhere or chives? Not seen either anywhere and no-one seems to grow them.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 pm

(Our) Lidl had chives (Сибирски лук) in a pot (as well as other herbs) only a short time ago. We bought some and have it planted in our herb garden. Other places you may find it are Kaufland and Piccadilly but it’s probably “seasonal”.

Laurus nobilis (Bay Laurel/Лавър) is native to the Mediterranean region. I don’t think it likes the extreme cold too much so it may only be grown as an indoor plant here but I’m sure that I’ve seen it in garden centres.

http://www.gradinata.bg/index.php?page= ... ant_id=919

Pam

growing things

Postby Pam » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 pm

I planted chive seeds from England a few years ago. They reseed themselves, and I have a plentiful supply all summer. They spread well, and I pass them on to friends, too. They have survived 4 winters here in Central Bulgaria.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”