Growing things...

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Rocker

growing things

Postby Rocker » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:53 am

Thanks for your replies. The mother plant is still very healthy and is not showing any signs of dying. I would like to save it and be able to have three more plants from the shoots. I cant let the mother plant die off as I have to keep watering it to preserve the shoots which are getting very big (Must be the Miracle Grow I used)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Samche

Postby Samche » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:14 am

The mother plant will die as it has flowered- in the meantime it is providing support for the 3 new shoots to root- you should see the parent leaves start to die back leaving the rooted 'pups'.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Rocker

Growing things

Postby Rocker » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:51 pm

hi Samche the mother plant lost it flower over a year ago, and as I've said does not show any signs of dying. It looks just as good as it when I got it minis the flower. Infact its getting bigger and stronger. I havent lost one single leaf of it and the centre ones are getting taller. Its all very strange 8O

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi Rocker

It's not so strange, a lot of plants have this sort of life cycle, Yuccas do the same thing. They produce a stem that can take a few years to reach flowering size then they flower and begin to die. In the meantime new shoots appear around the base.

The mother plant does not just suddenly croak, it can take a couple of years before it starts to show signs of ageing.

Cheers Fred.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
pollypepper

Growing things...

Postby pollypepper » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:26 am

Does anyone know much about Palms, like the one they grow here.
Have 3 types and no idea how to over winter them
Know one is Tracycarpus Fortunei.
No idea what the other 2 are except one is like a pineapple at its trunk and the others are like the above but get fine bits fraying off them.
Have brought them indoors.But how often do you water them and feed them.
Managed to get a feed called Palmy but instructions are impossible to understand. My Bulgarian is not that that good.
OK with food packages but this ???
Help please

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:51 am

Looks like you could have left Trachycarpus fortunei outside....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachycarpus_fortunei

....also, I find that if you search for images of whatever it is you want to know about, in this case palms, using google images, you can invariably find what you are looking for...

Paste палми into http://www.google.bg/images

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Samche

Re: Growing things

Postby Samche » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Rocker wrote:hi Samche the mother plant lost it flower over a year ago, and as I've said does not show any signs of dying. It looks just as good as it when I got it minis the flower. Infact its getting bigger and stronger. I havent lost one single leaf of it and the centre ones are getting taller. Its all very strange 8O

I'd be tempted to stick with it then. The mother plant will be providing support for the new shoots so why break uo a good thing :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Rocker

growing things

Postby Rocker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi Samche the reason I thought I should remove the shoots came after reading "Encyclopaedia of Gardening" by my old friend Percy Thrower 1967 version :) Percy said to remove them and so did Google, but it is impossible to shift these critters so I may well just leave them to chance and go easy on the Miracle Grow. Thanks to all who replied Marie

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Samche

Postby Samche » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Maybe they belonged to the 1 plant/ 1 pot brigade. My motto is- if it's happy leave it be :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:03 pm

I'll admit from the outset that I've been too lazy to go back and read through all the pages in this thread so, the answer might already be contained herein.

However, I am completing a series of raised beds that will house a small water feature and a good sized Pergola. My questions are these: - which 'climber' would give the most flower and shade for the Bulgarian summer?

I have discounted any form of grape due to the amount of Wasps they attract. I don't mind the odd Bee or two pollinating, but I can't stand loads of Wasps buzzing around my jam sandwiches.

So, your recommendations are most welcome and if you know the Latin name(s) or even the Bulgarian name that would be a great help although, I can find them out for myself with a bit of Internet work.

I would also like some advice on 'trailing plants' that will be in the raised beds and trail down over the inside/outside walls. The more colour the better.

Cheers to you green fingered types from us light fingered types. :roll:

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”