Growing things...

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

MOONLIGHT

Postby MOONLIGHT » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Lablab purpuris. Hyacinth bean.
very fast grower, great colour. produces bean pods containing 5-7 seeds for next year.
ours spread 2-3 metres. october pull them out(small root systems), dry seeds and sow next year. you will also have enough seeds to give friends and neighbours!

regards

pollypepper

Growing things...

Postby pollypepper » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks B52 had seen this item and have looked at lots on the internet.The Palms are young one - 8 the lowest temp recommended,but we have a lot of wind here and the wind chill could be a problem.I was hoping some one else had Palms here and a bit of experience with them what had worked and what had not.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:11 pm

MOONLIGHT wrote:Lablab purpuris. Hyacinth bean.
very fast grower, great colour. produces bean pods containing 5-7 seeds for next year.
ours spread 2-3 metres. october pull them out(small root systems), dry seeds and sow next year. you will also have enough seeds to give friends and neighbours!

regards

Many thanks, will look them up on the Internet and see if 'seeds' are available here.

Cheers.

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:20 pm

MW, if you just want cover for the summer months then morning glory is a good choice. Grows like a mad thing in BG and produces abundant big bright flowers. The two best varieties are Heavenly blue ( strong pale blue ) or Grandpa Otts ( deep purple ). Start them indoors from seed, subsequent years they will seed themselves.

Cheers Fred.

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Pollypepper

Trachycarpus fortunei is the hardiest of Palms, it will survive temps of -15 for a short while. Bigger plants stand more chance of survival. Any general plant food will do but only feed it in the spring and summer.

Cheers Fred.

marymo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby marymo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Fred
was the Morning Glory bought in Bulgaria or brought over from England. ?

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi Marymo

I grow it in the UK and in Bulgaria my neighbors planted it for me. I don't know the Bulgarian name for it.

If you print a picture of it from the net and show it to a neighbor they will tell you what it's called there. You could just get picture and look at the seed packs in your local shops.

If you can't find it then just send me your address by pm and I will send you some seeds in the post.

Give my regards to the old fella.

Cheers Fred.

silky4015

Postby silky4015 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:35 am

Also try Moon Vine. Latin name Ipomoea alba it too is a member of the morning-glory family, but come into bloom at night with large white flowers. I had both plants outside my front door for ages.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”