Growing things...

Whats it like? What to expect? How does it work? Questions and answers here about 'any' aspect of....'the good life'!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rodz
Super User!
Super User!

growing things

Postby rodz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 am

Yes you can plant the sprouting potatos. Cut them into pieces, each will give you a crop. Dig a trench approx 8 inchs deepplace the potato about 18 inchs apart. Fill in 4 inchs above the potato. When they start to shoot above the soil fill in with the other 4 inchs of soil. Then as they shoot above that keep mounding soil above them. You will get a bigger crop. Another way is to use old car tyres. start with one then build up with an extra tyre and soil each time the shoots appear

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rodz
Super User!
Super User!

growing things

Postby rodz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:01 am

I dont know about Bulgaria but in UK if you have colorado Beetles you have to report it to the Ministry of Agro

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks, Rodz. I'll give it a go!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Its notifiable in the UK as it hasn't spread there. I'm assuming it is already becoming endemic here although the hard winters may help. Have a look at the National Service for Plant Protection website (only in BG) http://www.nsrz.government.bg/

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:37 am

Most markets and gardening shops are now selling trays of small potato with good white shoots. Some locals have been put in a month ago.

We are not going to grow potatoes in the ground this year, despite keeping them watered and manured they were very small, not worth the bother to us.

I did leave four large white potatoes in a poly bag till they sprouted and have cut in half quarter filled four plastic dog feed bags, popped two halves in each, as they grew I put on more compost, rolling up the bag. The first two bags are now full and green stems growing out the top. This I did over a few weeks, so some will be ready afor others. Keep them well watered and dont forget to make drainage holes in the bottom!

As for the dreaded Colorado beetle, horrid things. I am afraid that Bulgarians just accept them. Last year, i went down each row, squashing the baby ones between my fingers. The larger ones went in a jar of soapy water, horrid job and smelly Ugh... Will let you know if I have success with my bags of tattie's

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:42 am

A light frost here last night. Will go out checking for damage of the young veg later. Will also be cold tonight I am told.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Wed May 05, 2010 11:07 am

Can anyone help me out here, I have been searching for information on a place called Balkan Plant Nursery, its Elena way. I can remember some reference to it on MyB, but can seem to find it. Thanks Frieda.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Wed May 05, 2010 11:13 am

fredatinsch wrote:Can anyone help me out here, I have been searching for information on a place called Balkan Plant Nursery, its Elena way. I can remember some reference to it on MyB, but can seem to find it. Thanks Frieda.

Is this it?

http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... 73&start=0

There search facility is a wonderful thing...! :lol:

8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Andyol

parsnips

Postby Andyol » Mon May 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Has anyone here in Bulgaria had any luck growing some decent parsnips?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
eyebright
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eyebright » Mon May 10, 2010 7:46 pm

I have Andy

Last year I grew two different kinds, one packet from Bulgaria which had a smell like celery but tasteless when roasted. The others were seeds from UK and they grew really well and tasted delicious.

I assume you know the soil has to be as loose as poss (double dug?) for them to grow without getting mishapen.

Return to “Village Life - including Gardening, Agriculture, Flora and Fauna Advice”